• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Listening to the wood and understanding what it says

David Ellsworth, AAW founding member #1 and an extraordinary artist, joined us on Lancaster Woodturners coffee hour this week for a rich and wonderful discussion of the woodturner's art as he's come to understand it. David's 76 now, a well-seasoned artisan who is accustomed to sharing technical lore and also remarkably eloquent about why we turn wood, and how our craft can nourish the soul. Here's the link, love to have your comments too -
View: https://youtu.be/BPTvVqqzB6k

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Really enjoyed going through DE's personal gallery......and was struck by his lifetime of pursuing a basic technical theme. Many turners seem to lose enthusiasm, unless they are employing a variety of entirely different processes. This is not a criticism, but acknowledgement that repetition is that which serves to guide one's progress towards a targeted excellence......and Ellsworth is the best at what he does!

Enjoyable video, John.......thank you!

-----odie-----

Thanks George and Odie, for kind comments, as well as thanks to all those who have been watching this video on YouTube.

Several turners have asked me whether they could join our Lancaster Woodturners weekly coffee hour, the answer is Yes, just message me and give me your email address to add to our list. Coffee Hour is open to all woodturners, you don't have to join our club to participate, we are on Zoom every Thursday morning at 10 am EDT, and all of our videos are posted to the club website, lancasterareawoodturners.org.

I enjoyed the discussion. thanks for making it available. I was more interested because Ellsworth's comments were more about turning in general rather than the specifics of his approach, since hollow forms are of limited interest to me. His comment that "Of all the things that come off the lathe, the most valuable thing you take away from it is the process of doing it" particularly struck home.

David Ellsworth, AAW founding member #1 and an extraordinary artist, joined us on Lancaster Woodturners coffee hour this week for a rich and wonderful discussion of the woodturner's art as he's come to understand it. David's 76 now, a well-seasoned artisan who is accustomed to sharing technical lore and also remarkably eloquent about why we turn wood, and how our craft can nourish the soul. Here's the link, love to have your comments too -
View: https://youtu.be/BPTvVqqzB6k
I watched this yesterday. I'd just finished reading "Ellsworth on Woodturning" a couple days ago so this was a good treat. We appreciate you sharing it with us. One day I'd like to see the man, and his lovely work, in person.

Side note: I felt a little guilty using CA glue to hold a cracking apple bowl together today

Really enjoyed watching the video, John. All really interesting, but I'm most interested in the last bits where he talks about the state of mind and body in relation to the making. That moment when everything's working, no doubts, no wondering 'how' etc. They're few and far between for me, but it's something to aim for.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
John thanks for letting us in.
As you know, David has done so much for woodturning and woodturners. he was a founding member of AAW and served as its first president.
I was fortunate to have a class with him.

while he is best known for hollow forms, he does the best NE bowl demo I have seen.

One day I'd like to see the man, and his lovely work, in person.
I was fortunate to be awarded an AAW EOG scholarship at Arrowmont a few years ago ... that enabled me to spend a full week with David Ellsworth. He is a great teacher and masterful woodturner. Check out the EOG program on AAW's website and apply for a scholarship ... it could turn out to be the best turning experience you will ever have!

I watched this yesterday. I'd just finished reading "Ellsworth on Woodturning" a couple days ago so this was a good treat. We appreciate you sharing it with us. One day I'd like to see the man, and his lovely work, in person.

Side note: I felt a little guilty using CA glue to hold a cracking apple bowl together today
I've had the fortune to see him demonstrate several times at symposiums, and even had lunch with him once, at the Arrowmont symposium, years ago. I was already seated, with a few others, and he came by and asked if he could sit with us. Of course, we said yes. He was very friendly and interesting.

Back