• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Local Chapters

Website
www.velvitoil.com
On another forum it was posted that there is at least one chapter in FL that required membership in the AAW to be a member. I questioned this practice as it seems contrary to one of the purposes of the AAW- to promote woodturning.

How does the AAW feel about a chapter requiring all members, including new applicants, to have an AAW membership?

Barbara,
The North Coast Woodturners, the Alpha chapter of the AAW requires all members to belong to the AAW. I believe there are more than a few chapters that operate this way and somewhere on the AAW site it tells how many.
Bill

The Northeast Wisconsin Woodturners also has this requirement. It's largely a liability issue so that all members and chapter activities are covered under the AAW insurance umbrella.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Barbara,

Sixteen of the 300+ AAW chapter had 100% AAW membership. I assume most require AAW membership.

How Does AAW feel? This is an issue where AAW lines up across the spectrum.
Some members believe all local chapters should be 100% AAW membership.
Some believe that AAW membership should NOT be required of any member.
Currently all officials of the local chapter must be AAW members in order to have AAW affiliation.

My personal feeling is that non AAW members are crashing the party.
Virtually no local chapter would exist without the AAW and most rely heavily on the AAW insurance.
To not join the AAW is to reap the benefits paid for by the AAW members for free.
How can a Chapter value AAW affiliation and not value AAW membership in its members?
Also without AAW there would not be any regional symposiums other than Utah.

Chapters with 100% membership Jan 2009
Central Florida Woodturners
Central Illinois Woodturners
Cumberland Valley Woodturners (PA)
Gold Country Turners (California)
Jersey Cape Woodturners Guild (Cape May, NJ)
Lincoln Land Woodturners (Springfield, IL)
Michigan Association of Woodturners
Milwaukee Area Woodturners (WI)
North Coast Woodturners (Ohio)
Northwest Michigan Woodturners
Northeast Wisconsin Woodturners
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild (Portland, OR)
Peace River Woodturners (Florida)
Pueblo Woodturners (Colorado)
San Diego Woodturners
Southern Oregon Woodturners

Al

Last edited:
Website
www.velvitoil.com
Al, I have been a member of the AAW ever since I started turning and enjoy my membership greatly. I understand what you are saying. I feel that through the dues paid to local clubs as well as any extra fees for certain demonstrators the non AAW member is paying their way.

I didn't think the liability coverage applied to a non-AAW member who may need that coverage even if they are a member of a AAW sanctioned club.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
Barbara,

Personally, I don't think every Local Club Member belongs in AAW. I only want the ones with a desire to learn and share to join AAW.

Regarding individuals, only AAW members are covered by the insurance.

Local clubs are also covered in terms of meeting space and most clubs use the insurance to hold their meetings and other events.
Our club has to give the Civic center a proof of insurance each year.

Most local clubs treat the Non-AAW as limited members who
cannot demonstrate or participate in workshops (insurance)
cannot hold office (requirement for AAW affiliation)

Why does a club want to be an AAW affiliate?
Why not just have a local club?
This would not affect any members who wanted to be AAW members.
Its a big bag of worms......

What I don't understand is how some local club value AAW affiliation and place no value on AAW membership.

-Al

Website
www.velvitoil.com
I agree that AAW membership is valuable. I think each member (other than officers) should be able to realize that value on their own rather than to be made to join. Of course I am stating my personal opinion and do not expect the same from others.

As you have confirmed members who are not members of the AAW are not covered by the liability policy and if allowed to demonstrate do so at their own risk.

As you have confirmed members who are not members of the AAW are not covered by the liability policy and if allowed to demonstrate do so at their own risk.

Barbara, my understanding of the insurance thing is; if a non-AAW member were to be allowed to demonstrate at a chapter or chapter function, not only would he/she be liable should they injure a non-member but the chapter would be also. The AAW insurance only extends liability coverage to the individual AAW member doing the turning at the time of the accident. If I am mistaken in this maybe someone with the proper knowledge can correct me.

Website
www.velvitoil.com
Right, the liability insurance only covers members who are involved with a club or AAW activity if the member and the club is a member of the AAW. If an individual is not a member of the AAW then that person has no liability coverage.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
Barbara, Jake,

To date there has not been a claim against the AAW insurance.

non AAW members are clearly not covered by the policy.

The issue is who might get sued should a non AAW member cause injury.

Lawyers tend to cast a wide net naming lots of defendants. I envision a scenario where all the club officers are named as co-defendants along with the non-AAW member.
Since the insurance does not cover the Non-AAW member, I don't know if it extends to AAW members named a co defendants. Maybe yes/maybe no.

-Al

The issue is who might get sued should a non AAW member cause injury.

Lawyers tend to cast a wide net naming lots of defendants. I envision a scenario where all the club officers are named as co-defendants along with the non-AAW member.
Since the insurance does not cover the Non-AAW member, I don't know if it extends to AAW members named a co defendants. Maybe yes/maybe no.

-Al

Thank you Al, that is what I thought would be the answer, but felt the entire Chapter my also be tangled in that net.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
It might well involve the whole chapter.
Most chapters have less than $10K in the treasury.
To get a meaningful settlement the lawyers have to find someone responsible who has assets of value.

We don't have any actual history as there haven't been any claims against the AAW insurance.

The chapters I'm in require demonstrators to be AAW members.
The Florida Symposium requires its demonstrators to be AAW members.
the AAW symposium requires its demonstrators to be AAW members

-Al

Back