• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Looking at new lathe

Website
www.beyondbark.com
I am looking at getting a new lathe. Ideally i would like to get the Oneway 1640 but that is a little more then i want to spend. I am realisticly looking at the Jet 1642VS Pro it goes on sale often from Jet for around $1500 and seems like a good lathe and good price. The current lathe I use in my shop is a Jet 1442 VS Pro. I will be moving shops and the 1442 is staying. the 1442 has been good to me but there are a few desing flaws. The speed controller handle gets in the way. the fact that it is only 14" high makes it impossilbe to use things like the bowl coring systems since they only come in 12" and 16".

So on to my questions. does any one have any complaints about the Jet 1642VS Pro? It seems to solve my concerns and has better speed control.

Cypher

I've had a Jet 1642 for about 2 years (2 hp, 220 v). I've done a couple of bowls and faceplate work, but most of what I do is spindle work for furniture. Add the 18" bed extension and it's good to about 60". Speed range from 0-~3200 rpms. Reversible direction so can sand in reverse. Plus if you like, put a duplicator on one side and turn off the other.

Here's the horrors of it :) The label over the on/off switch; speed control came loose on the top. I had to make a plexiglass piece to hold it down.

I'd buy it again.

Paul

I have just upgraded from a Jet 1442 to a Jet 1642 for the same reasons you mentioned, speed control is in the way and the size limitation. The 1642 allows you to turn at much lower speeds until the blank is balanced, which is a very nice feature, and the speed control is not in the way. I am very well pleased with the upgrade. As with the 1442, the 1642 is probably the best value in it's price range.

The first piece I turned was a 151/2" walnut bowl. The lathe had plenty of power and was very stable. You won't regret the 1642

The head stock spindle is lager than the 1442 so you will have to upgrade you chuck inserts.

Good luck

LB

Need to be careful because there are two Jet 1642 lathes. One is 1.5hp and 115v (around $1500) and the other is 2.0hp and 230v (about $500 more).

Check the Jet model numbers to be sure what you will be getting.

Ed

I moved up to the 1642 220v 2hp about 2 years ago, and love it. I got a great deal on mine so I choose it over some others based purely on cost, but I have never regreted it. I must have well over a thousand hours on it, mostly using my VicMark 3.5" chucks. Great combination. Not sure why I would ever get another lathe, although I am sure I will want to some day. Right now it does everything that I could imagine.

I do have a friend in our AAW chapter that bought a 115v 1.5 hp version, and when I have turned on it for a demo it seemed very underpowered compared to mine. It sure acts like more than just half-horsepower difference.

Ballard (Seattle) WA and Volcano, Hawaii....on top
I've got the 1642 (220v) and I love it. Plenty of power, plenty of size at this point in my "career" and I love being able to run the head stock back and forth. Having it at the end of the lathe makes hollowing so much nicer.

Dave

Website
www.gvpencheff.com
cypher said:
Does any one have any complaints about the Jet 1642VS Pro? It seems to solve my concerns and has better speed control.

I have the 1 1/2 hp version. The only complaint I have is since I bought it all my flat work machinery is sitting idle. :rolleyes:

Seriously I can recommend the machine without reservation. MUCH bang for the buck.

Cypher,

I got the 1.5 hp version about 3 months ago. I love the variable speed and many other things. My only complaint is the paint job--big deal.

The 1.5 hp seems to be plenty powerful for even the biggest jobs. You won't be disappointed. :D

Joyce

Back