• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Looking for US or Canadian Supplier for Simon Hope carbide turning tools

I noticed in Andy Phillip's YouTube videos that he frequently used a unique carbide tool. The blade was set at a 45 degrees angle to the shaft. I wanted a tool that would present to the wood at an angle but was not do subject to rolling as the tools that have the blade mounted horizontally. I grabbed the manufacturer's name off the shaft in one video and chased around until I found HopeWoodturning.co.uk - a UK manufacturer. I could not find a domestic reseller so I tried to place an order direct with Hope website. When I tried to pay I got a message that they do not ship to the US or Canada. I finally found a Canadian supplier, Black Forest Woods Company and was able to buy the tool I first saw in Andy's videos. I love it!

Now I see another UK wood turner using another unique tool........by Hope Woodturning! Same deal - can't find a reseller, Hope still won't ship to US and Black Forest Woods carries a very limited variety of Hope tools, not including the one I want - the Negative Rake Bowl Scraper - WITH THE CUTTER MOUNTED FROM THE UNDERSIDE OF THE TOOL - cutter is 48 mm wide. Big, wide, flat blade that is very stable in use.

I have attached a couple of photos - hard to get just the right ones but they may help clarify my description of the tools!

I REALLY want this tool! Does anyone know of a supplier - US, Canadian or some other source that will ship to the US?

Thanks,
Tom

Attachments

• HopeAngleCarbide.jpg
    HopeAngleCarbide.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 21
  • HopeAngledCatalog.jpg
    HopeAngledCatalog.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 21
  • HopeWideCatalog.jpg
    HopeWideCatalog.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 21
  • HopeWideScraper.jpg
    HopeWideScraper.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 22
Sorby had/ has a carbide scraper
43794-02-1000.jpg

Robert Sorby #827H External Shear Scraper​

Thanks Peter. I'll take a look at that one although it is a full round cutter of larger than common diameter that I really want. Particularly for its use on interior surfaces.

I sent an inquiry to Hope Woodturning and got a prompt reply from Simon Hope confirming that some insurance regulation prevents him from shipping to the US and Canada. He suggested two suppliers:
Please see, https://www.breezewoodturning.com
or in Canada www.blackforestwood.com

Breezewood was a new possibility for me and I checked their website. They are UK based. The cost of shipping ($65) was nearly as much as the tool ($95). A little rich for my blood.

Not quite the same but would this alternative work for you?

IMG_9218.jpeg

I want to thank each of you who has responded to this post. I don't think I was very clear about what appeals to me about this particular scraper.

My modest experience with carbide tools poses two challenges.

The first is to keep the tool rock steady on the rest while cutting. I own several larger scrapers but they either put a round section on the rest or they do not have a very wide base - mine are in the 1/2" to 3/4" range. I just haven't developed the skill to avoid having those cutters twist/catch occasionally with unfortunate results. So I would like to have at least a 1", flat contact with the tool rest.

The second challenge is to get a smooth cut through a long arc. Using the smaller diameter cutters I often leave ridges :( - the Hope cutter is nearly 2" in diameter. Watching it in use it seems to offer the same long engagement that many wide HSS scrapers offer.

Have I been honest enough? This is as much about my experience as it is about any inherent property of a particular tool.

Once again, thanks to those who offered tools that might do the job for me.

Thanks. I looked at those. I have lots of respect for Simon. Those scraper blades are high speed steel. I was hoping for carbide. I don't think the carbide will hold a burr. Not sure whether that would be disappointing. Turns out that the shipping cost from Breezewood doesn't seem to go up if I order an additional tool. Might try doing that to spread the cost of shipping over a couple of items. Even just ordering 1 more tool cuts the per tool shipping cost from $65 to $32.50.

Oh Dear! How I hate the taste of humble pie!!!!!!! The more I look into this, the more I learn. Turns out the Simon Hope cutter is NOT carbide. I just watched a good video from Simon Hope on sharpening and he is emphasizing the raising of the burr. Sigh! I have been in touch with Breeze Woodturning in England and they can supply just the cutter for about $45 including shipping. I can easily mount the cutter on either an existing tool with a big flat or just make something up from bar stock.

OK, I've taken up more than enough of your time. Thanks to the community again. I think it's time the thread got closed!

Back