• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Looking to buy my first lathe

Brand new to the forum as well as wood turning. I am looking to get my first lathe and am thinking about the grizzly T25920 or the Nova Comet II DR MIDI Lathe 46300. I am looking to do some bowls, plates, pens and handles.

Thank you

Joe,
You will undoubtedly get opinions on both those lathes. You might also browse through the innumerable earlier threads on the relative merits of various brands and sizes of lathes.

I have some general comments for you:
1. Figure the lathe will account for about half the cost of getting set up to turn. Turning tools, a sharpening set up, chucks, and a wide range of accessories all add up fast.
2. Most lathes work fine and most owners are happy with the lathe they have. Nearly any lathe can do the projects you mention. If you avoid the very cheapest lathes, such as Harbor Freight, it's likely you will find a lathe that will both work for you and with which you will be happy, almost regardless of the brand. There are a great many small, and some not so small, differences between lathes, but it generally takes experience to develop opinions on them.
3. Wood lathes are reasonably simple machines and the major brands will usually provide years and years of service without needing major repair. However, poop happens, and you may end up with a problem with your lathe that needs the help of the seller/manufacturer. There can be considerable difference between one brand and another in the quality of service and even the availability of spare parts.
4. If cost is a factor for you, a used lathe can be a good way to get a good machine at a manageable price. Sometimes it takes a while for one that will suit you to become available at an acceptable price, but eventually, it will.
5. You local woodturning club is a tremendous resource for you. Check the AAW's main web site, search under Chapters, and your state, and you should find at least one within a reasonable distance. (Maybe also check Illinois, as the closest club could be in Waukegan or some place) Most clubs have 'mentors' who can help you get started safely and learn as quickly as possible. They can also provide advice on specific lathes, unadvertisded used lathes that might be available in your area, and a whole host of questions you'll have on what you need, where to find it, etc. Most of the time, this help is free, and always enthusiastically provided.

Good luck. And welcome to the vortex. It's not as bad as buying a boat or an airplane. Really.

Dean’s comments are spot on. If you consider used, look for mt2 tapers in both spindle and tailstock and 1” x 8 tpi spindle threads - most if not all new midi’s will have those. It just makes finind accessories easier.

I will add some more general comments:

> Big lathes can make small stuff just fine, small lathes can only go up to capacity (12” swing about 10-1/2” finished piece)

> Elec variable speed - makes turning much more enjoyable vs changing pulleys (most vs change pulleys for speed ranges which is fine)

Dean's advice is wise, except when we're talking small lathes the cost of the lathe may only be a third or a quarter of the investment. A grinder and a gouge cost what a grinder and a gouge cost.

Our club, Chicago Woodturners (http://www.chicagowoodturners.com),
meets the second Tuesday in Arlington heights--and you wouldn't be the farthest traveller. And I'd be surprised if there wasn't another club somewhere around Milwaukee.

As Dean says, when it comes to what lathe, or what turning widget, to buy there is a lot of fervor among turners. Having seen similar questions play out here (and having participated in those discussions), I wonder if the better question to consider isn't what features in a lathe to look for. And that answer depends a lot on what type of turning is being done.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
@Dean Center covered it well.

I’ll emphasize contacting a local Club.
You may be able to connect with a mentor or get an invite to visit a turners shop.
Getting instruction or just watching other turners will advance your turning skills making your time at the lathe more fun, more productive and much safer

I see emails from our club about once a month for Used lathes. Always a good deal. Some include accessories.
Usually you can sell a used lathe for what you paid for it.

Find the club first, and you may be able to buy most stuff used, great money saver.

The cost of the lathe is at least 1/4 the cost of the 'accessories' you will 'need' to get into turning.

Electronic variable speed is a luxury, but once you have it, you never want to go back.

I have a bunch of videos up on You Tube, mostly about bowl turning.

robo hippy

When you find a club, you might also find a lathe. We have had several club members who have sold their used lathes to other club members when they upgraded. A few weeks ago, one guy picked up a nearly-new Powermatic 2014 for a decent price from another guy who had just purchased a Powermatic 3520C.

A lot of great advice. I would add to buy something you won’t out grow soon. I bought a lathe to turn pens. Worked great. Years later I turned a bowl on it and got bit hard. It was a small lathe so I bought a midi to do 12” bowls. Within a couple of years I wanted to turn bigger so I bought a lathe that would turn 16” bowls. If I want to turn a larger platter or something I can turn 39” out board. Knowing what I know now I would not have bought the midi and saved up to buy the larger lathe.

I asked the same question almost a year ago. I bought a "starter" lathe. Done in 3 months. Bought a bigger one. When everyone tells you the lathe is 1/4 of total spending, they're not kidding. I spent 3k on a lathe a have 4k in tools... go figure. Sad part is I wish I knew what I was doing...lol.

Back