• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Louis Lemos

I am returning to woodturning after 47 years and consider myself a beginner. I started woodworking in 4-H in the early 1970’s turning that experience into a job rebuilding and refinishing antique furniture during high school and college. Some of the furniture I refinished in the late 1970s is in the California State Governor’s Mansion Museum (at least it was back then). The attached picture is the last turning project completed which won a gold medal and best of show awards at the 1974 or 1975 California State Fair. I have done little woodworking since leaving the antique shop. I have worked as a certified public accountant all my adult life. I am considering retirement in the next five or so years and woodworking will be a good endeavor to keep active. Woodturning on the Internet has caught my attention and I plan to get outfitted and start turning this year. The first order of business is to learn what to purchase. I look forward to learning from the community’s vast experience.

20210826_160258.jpg

I suggest that your best first step is to join your local chapter of AAW. I think you’ll find them very supportive and often a source of high quality used tools and equipment at reasonable prices.

Best of luck and welcome aboard.

Welcome! Nor-Cal Woodturners serves the Stockton area. Look us up on the Internet. Currently we are having Zoom meetings. For in person, the Folsom VFW is our home.

For guidance on what to buy, I know a guy.
Thank you for the heads up Dwight. I joined Nor-Cal Wood Turners this afternoon. I look forward to the camaraderie and wisdom. I am considering a Jet 1221vs or PowerMatic PM2014 lathe and Sorby turning tools.

Back