• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Mark Stinson

I'm so glad to be here. I just joined the AAW as well, and I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone and learning new things.

I am a bowl turner, turned my first in 2003 and I still love it! I came home from Afghanistan in 2013 and took a job turning bowls for a local business. I now have a part time business turning bowls and figured I'm long overdue to join the AAW. I'm also in the market to upgrade my lathe and I hope to gain some wisdom to help with my decision.

Thank you so much for having me!
Mark
FB_IMG_1576065939339.jpg FB_IMG_1580267816293.jpg FB_IMG_1580266894844.jpg

Welcome,

Excellent work!
Have you joined a local club?

there are many opportunities to share how you make bowls.
Thank you!
I have not joined the local club, though I'd like to. I'm also in a bagpipe band, and with all the irons I have in the fire, I have a hard time making it to practice. I have met with some members privately to demonstrate how I do my sanding and finish. I probably should block off sometime to attend a meeting.

Welcome! Nice stuff. Big bowls are good.

Have you made a set of bagpipes yet? Great turning project!
Thank you!
You would think a being a piper and a turner that would've done something like that, but no. I have made some replacement parts, as occasionally a section will crack from moisture and playing when it's below freezing. There is a fellow piper who lives near me that has a business making bagpipes, one of these days I'd like to get touch with him.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Thank you for your service! Playing the bagpipe in freezing weather, I hope you at least wear pants and not the kilt! LOL You will see bagpipers in Hawaii, but no freezing temperatures! Great work! If you come to Maui, please look me up. Welcome aboard.

Thank you for your service! Playing the bagpipe in freezing weather, I hope you at least wear pants and not the kilt! LOL You will see bagpipers in Hawaii, but no freezing temperatures! Great work! If you come to Maui, please look me up. Welcome aboard.
Thank you sir! A trip to Maui would be a dream...not because it's paradise, but because I might have a chance to see a Stubby S1000 in person!

Welcome to the crew. I see some very nice large turnings. I have done my one or two and had enough of that extra large stuff. Also we are always ready to give opinions on many lathes out there.
Thank you!
My typical size range is 10"-18". Occasionally some smaller or larger, but I am drawn to big work. Partially because I haven't grown up, but also I really love seeing a fair curve on a large canvas... like a boat's haul. Where I live, I typically find maple and walnut in the 36" diameter range. When I get wood like that, I just don't have the heart to cut it up in small pieces. So I do a lot of coring to provide a healthy variety of sizes and pricing.

I'm looking forward to talking lathes. I've spent the past 24 hours scouring the threads here to see if my questions have already been answered, though I may not be able to resist asking anyhow!

This seems like a terrific group, the support and knowledge here is mind boggling, and I'm a little star struck to see the caliber of turners participating in these threads.

Back