• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Mashrabiya

If anyone has had experience turning mashrabiya, please respond. See attached photo.

Attachments

• 31094b4f3f6e7544c10958b1215f22a0.jpg
    31094b4f3f6e7544c10958b1215f22a0.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 51
There was also an article in American Woodturner, maybe 9 months ago. I don't recall too much "how to" in the article, as much as "isn't this interesting."

Yikes! That is a lot of spindles to turn. One would be very adept by the time they are done with the project. Looks like vertical ones first as a long spindle. Next would be the horizontal spacers. Then long diagonal pieces, then 2 short diagonal pieces. Interesting look.... Lots of measuring and lay out work to do....

robo hippy

Hi thanks for the note. Actually we are considering doing a how-to book on the subject and we are exploring if there are any possible authors in the turning community.

Mashrabiyas were what first piqued my interest in turning. Much of my spindle turning work is inspired by mashrabiyas. I work with both square and hexagonal lattice grids, both of which are found in the traditional craft. One of my mashrabiya-inspired pieces was published on the back cover of the April 2023 issue (38:2) of American Woodturner. The same issue had an article on the mashrabiya exhibition at the Museum for Art in Wood in Philadelphia which closed a few months ago. I will be teaching a one-week class at the John C Campbell Folk School in November 2024 on spindle work inspired by mashrabiyas,

Yikes! That is a lot of spindles to turn. One would be very adept by the time they are done with the project. Looks like vertical ones first as a long spindle. Next would be the horizontal spacers. Then long diagonal pieces, then 2 short diagonal pieces. Interesting look.... Lots of measuring and lay out work to do....
robo hippy
Yes -- there are LOTS of spindles in such panels -- usually 100-200 separate pieces per square foot! Yet such panels often formed an entire wall of a room -- areas on the order of 10 x 20 feet (so 20,000-40,000 pieces). Many upper middle class and more elite house had many rooms -- not just one -- with such panels. In some cases there were huge expanses. There were thousands of such lattice panel walls in hundreds of houses in Cairo (and many other Islamic world cities) from at least the 15th through 19th centuries. An incredible craft, with numerous patterns, yet the craft tradition had a very simple tool kit (bow lathe[!] and several cutting tools) but marvelous results. The nested interlocking assembly of the lattice panels is ingenious.

I did a lot of this sort of turning during the 'great covid hiatus' -- it improved my general turning skills, not just spindle work.

Wow, I didn’t know anything about this style. Looking closely at the image you posted, I think I can get a sense of the progression of the turnings, but I have no idea how to accurately turn those smallest angled pieces that lock things in. Perhaps my imagined scale is off. I’m imagining them as less than a 1/4” even as small as an 1/8” in length. Thanks for sharing. Inspiring.

Back