• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Massive Coring Machine

I left a comment. That set up is very similar to what the New Holland Bowl Mills uses on their coring tool, other than the carbide cutting tip. I want that bending thing....

robo hippy

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
If you want to mass produce big salad bowls, this is the way to do it. This bowl corer in the video is impressive, and built like it should be.

Speaking strictly for myself, and myself only, I've considered getting a bowl coring jig in the past, but never did get one. The reason I never did, is basically because the general overall shape is pre-conceived, and eliminates much of the creativity I enjoy in producing one bowl, from one piece of wood. Also, when using a coring jig, you just never know what is in the interior of a piece of wood. By making one bowl from one piece of wood, the element of discovery now opens up more possibilities. Because of that, the ability to alter the shape in order to eliminate or accentuate elements of the wood's flaws, and/or character, is drastically reduced when using a coring jig.

-----odie-----

I have a coring system and do not use it as much as when it was new. I found folks like the smaller bowls so not a great need for those big ones. When I do use it, I like to core thicker pieces and re-turn them to a little different form before sealing them for curing. My wood selection and preparation has gotten more accurate to the desired size and only an occasional chunk of wood demands coring because of some detail that will really jump out on a big bowl.

There is more flexibility with coring tools like the Oneway and Bowlsaver than most think. I had preconceived notions of how my Bowlsaver worked based on the instructions and reviews I read/viewed. They all under sold to some degree the flexibility of how the blade pivot point can be varied with different size blades to get very different cores. Also, a core can be as thick as you want to make to allow more variance in the finished bowl.

I got the 2 blade version, thinking a 12” core was big enough since the biggest I make is ~14-15”. Now that I understand more about how setup can be varied I wish I had the 3 blade version.

The coring machine in the video is hell for stout and very good for what the user wanted, hi volume of the same thing, but it doesnt have the flexibility of one of the lathe mounted systems. He just says its faster tho an what he used before but doesnt tell what he used.

Website
www.dehoutdraaierij.nl
Hi, That's funny. To see that there has been spoken in this forum about the mastodon, my coring machine.
@Doug Freeman: Before (and still) I use the Oneway Easy Core. And yes, it is much more flexible in shape than the Mastodon...
@Bill Blasic Yes it is more or less the same as the Korpro. We made it ourselves several years ago already. It cuts very agressive, on the Oneway Easy Core I only use it on the 2 smallest knives...
@robo hippy The Holland Bowl mill was one of the vids that made me think: "I wanna have such a thing... " :)

Grtz
Ronald

@Ronald Kanne, Really like your style of videos. This thread was a good reminder to go see if there were other videos that I hadn’t seen since last time. Enjoyed watching the apple wobbly bowl while eating dinner. Better than watching the movies that Hollywood has been putting out lately.

Hi, That's funny. To see that there has been spoken in this forum about the mastodon, my coring machine.
@Doug Freeman: Before (and still) I use the Oneway Easy Core. And yes, it is much more flexible in shape than the Mastodon...
@Bill Blasic Yes it is more or less the same as the Korpro. We made it ourselves several years ago already. It cuts very agressive, on the Oneway Easy Core I only use it on the 2 smallest knives...
@robo hippy The Holland Bowl mill was one of the vids that made me think: "I wanna have such a thing... " :)

Grtz
Ronald
The Mastadon blew my mind when I saw the video a couple months ago. Good job!! I've been wondering a lot since watching a few of your videos, looks like you're always using the robust lathe. How does the robust compare to the oneway lathes in the background?

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
The Mastadon blew my mind when I saw the video a couple months ago. Good job!! I've been wondering a lot since watching a few of your videos, looks like you're always using the robust lathe. How does the robust compare to the oneway lathes in the background?

He's a Robust dealer for Europe and a Oneway dealer for the Netherlands. :rolleyes:

Back