• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Maxicut Colt Forstner Bits

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I wonder if anyone knows what's going on with the Maxicut Colt bits. I wanted to order a few. I used to buy mine from the Woodturners Catalogue. They have them as "no longer available" I also checked Lee Valley and they have something similar, no bits. Amazingly, Amazon only has the morse taper extender in stock. Not one bit available! Is this another Covid casualty? I ordered a few last year because they were highly recommended here. I believe @Bill Boehme told me they are some of the best.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Years ago they were the hot new thing, but I haven't been able to find them locally in years. Everybody seems to have gone back to stocking Fisch drills and bits. I really like the Colt Forstner bits and twist drills. It's amazing how fast they cut through wood.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I think that price was the problem. I think that most people when faced with choosing between good vs. cheap will go with cheap. It was painful watching a demonstrator at a club meeting drilling in end grain with a worn-out cheap Forstner bit. The wood was smoking and the bit was turning blue.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Check out Taytools.com - recently got a bunch of colt bits there, I know they have some maxi-cut remaining in stock, I was reading somewhere on there that they'd "bought out" an inventory from the factory that makes Colt, which seems to imply the factory either closed, or discontinued making bits...

Check out Taytools.com - recently got a bunch of colt bits there, I know they have some maxi-cut remaining in stock, I was reading somewhere on there that they'd "bought out" an inventory from the factory that makes Colt, which seems to imply the factory either closed, or discontinued making bits...
I just did check out Taytools and it looks like they only have the run of the mill carbon steel bits, which if they are not already dull will dull cutting end grain hard wood but they can be sharpened with a file. The only alternative would be carbide tipped bits.

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
I heard earlier this week (and can't confirm) that the company that made them has ceased operation. This from the Taytool website: "Colt and RISS Tools were manufacturers of high-quality boring bits with facilities in Germany and France. They made the popular MaxiCut and Ecocut forstner bits and Twinland brad point bits. Colt and Riss recently closed its doors and liquidated its inventory. We acquired a portion of this inventory and are offering it for a fraction of the list price. Quantities are limited to stock on hand."

A real shame since the twist lock system was, to my knowledge, unique, and allowed for using extensions with the smaller diameter bits where other extenders are too big to fit in the hole made by the bit.

I wonder if anyone knows what's going on with the Maxicut Colt bits. I wanted to order a few. I used to buy mine from the Woodturners Catalogue. They have them as "no longer available" I also checked Lee Valley and they have something similar, no bits. Amazingly, Amazon only has the morse taper extender in stock. Not one bit available! Is this another Covid casualty? I ordered a few last year because they were highly recommended here. I believe @Bill Boehme told me they are some of the best.
Its interesting you ask this. When I first started turning last year, I was looking into the Colt bits. From everything I'd read, they were considered the best around, handled heat better, etc. I managed to get one (I think a MaxiCut), but since then I've been unable to find them. I originally wanted to buy a full set in a box, which I found listed, but unavailable. I haven't even been able to find them listed anywhere nowadays.

I ended up going with Fisch for most of my forstners. I tried some others, but they heat up really fast, and rip and tear at the wood. The Fisch with their wave cutters seem to cut better, but, they can still heat up and burn if you aren't careful. The one Colt I have, is amazing...never burns.

Thanks to all the members taking time to post on all the forums. been reading and learning from all of you.
Also looking for a good quality forstner bit supplier.
Ran across this article
I have been guilty in the past on buying cheap only ending up buying quality.
The article shows Famag as an overall choice running cooler than most
The woodcraft bit looks interesting but is out of stock presently.
Looking forward to your opinions.

I have Grizzly boxed collections, the 2 together go from I think 1/4” to maybe 2” in 1/16” increments. These arent great bits, requiring some honing when I got them, but they cut fine after that. I have a few carbide tipped bits from grizzly in my most used sizes, and they work great. I have a bit any size when needed, and then carbide bits when I need a lot of holes. Just a cheaper way to have the tool when needed but not have lots of $’s sitting unused.

Just ordered a couple. They only have oddball sizes left.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I already have a good assortment of Colt MaxiCut Forstner style bits and most of the pen drill sizes. I decided that having more tools would be a burden that I am willing to bear so, yesterday I ordered some of the odd sizes of Maxicut Forstner bits that were still available and a FREE set of seven twist drills. One "problem" that I noticed was that their shopping cart software kept sticking things into my cart that it thought I would "like". Well, of course, I would "like" those items, but not enough to overcome my frugalness.

I decided that having more tools would be a burden that I am willing to bear so, yesterday I ordered some of the odd sizes of Maxicut Forstner bits that were still available and a FREE set of seven twist drills. One "problem" that I noticed was that their shopping cart software kept sticking things into my cart that it thought I would "like".
There is no such thing as too many tools being a burden, however if your kids have not been properly schooled in the "You can't have too many tools" doctrine then there may be a problem but it will not bother you.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
There is no such thing as too many tools being a burden, however if your kids have not been properly schooled in the "You can't have too many tools" doctrine then there may be a problem but it will not bother you.

Your wisdom transcends the ages.

Back