• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

May 2022 Turning Challenge: Turn Something with Metal!

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
This month's challenge comes courtesy of our own @hockenbery Thank you Al for the great suggestion. It can be anything! as long as it has some metal. I will quote Al now:

This is quite broad including wire, metal leaf, pewter, bronze, copper key filings, a wind chime with metal tubes, bullets/barbed wire (AKA, "Bob War" in Texas) found in a log, a broken screw stuck in a faceplate mount, threaded metal inserts, metal casting in a turned piece, or anything else that pops into your mind.

Yes, you read that right, that faceplate that you have in a drawer with a few broken screws in it can be the next challenge winner!! Bring it out, dust it out, paint it and enter it! LOL We have made May's challenge very broad, we are hoping to see a lot of entries!

And now, a word from the lawyers keeping tabs on the contest:

• Only one entry per person, you must submit ONE photo of your "Metal Enhanced Masterpiece".
  • Entries must be posted in this thread.
  • The deadline for posting entries is midnight Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) on May 24, 2022.
  • As always, this is a turning contest, not an old moldy photo contest, so in fairness to everybody, make sure your work is something you‘ve turned after April 30, 2022.
  • Voting will take place from May 25, 2022, through midnight UTC on May 31, 2022.
  • The winner might have to pass a lie detector test before collecting the prizes. :rolleyes: Good luck, have fun, and make shavings!! :)
When voting begins you are allowed one vote and once you have voted you won't be able to go back and change your vote. After you have voted you will be able to track the vote totals. The voting is secret (just like a real election) so nobody other than you can see who you voted for (not even the moderators/administrators). The voting will end at midnight UTC on May 31, 2022. In case of a tie vote, the forum moderators will gather in a virtual smoke-filled room to sort out the winner.

Although this is not Art which appears to be anticipated by the rules committee, it is something practical that all us woodturners use everyday to create our “creations”. This is a Cam-Lock Quick-Release handle system that I just completed this week. The wood is cherry. The 4” aluminum shaft was drilled with a 3/4” bit off center and cut into two pieces and secured by a bronze shaft bushing. In these uncertain economic times, some have more of a concern for costs then esthetics. The handle cost less than $12 in materials and the steel adapter sleeves are 1.50 per tool! The sleeves guarantee that all tools whether round, square or tang shape fit into one handle. This is My wood-metal masterpiece! And…………. Everything was made and bored on my woodturning lathe!
18BCC7EB-6E6A-405D-93A8-268BD49126C7.jpeg

Another tail wagging the dog piece......
I was messing about with some pewter that started out on the lathe, ended up on the rose engine then in a stew pot of chemically potions and finally on the bench needing a home.....I turned, carved, filled, colored and finished a 4-footed Olivewood pot and added a pewter and olive topper to the equation and here we are...5" x 4"
Completed 19May22...
Thank you for looking!

9A9E93BE-E4C6-4C9C-BE88-127DCA486E1E_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
This cane is the second one I made using this technique. My lathe bed is to short to make a full length cane so I needed to make it in sections. The solid sections have tenons as they are easier to make concentric then holes or inserts.

The short pieces of wood are hollow and are fit over a steel tube as a core which then accept the tenons of the solid sections.

The steel tube is hidden but a small sample is in the picture. I will take a magnet test.

The woods are walnut, maple, ash, copper beech, dyed plywood, and tupelo .Basically what I could find in my shop.

It also has rubber as well as wood and the required metal.

cane.jpg

Stu

My entry is a pendant lamp made mostly of white oak. The required metal would be the copper cord and the metal parts on the E12 lamp socket plus the 4-40 flat head machine screw (visible in the photo) used to hold the lamp socket in place. The drawing used as a backdrop for the photo is a full-scale detail of the chandelier made by the Minnesota Woodturners Association for the Tacoma WA symposium and was part of the inspiration for this pendant lamp. The lamp socket is rated for 40 watts however I used an LED lamp at about 5 watts and higher lumens than the incandescent lamp would supply.

22052PendentL1.JPG

Pecan Wooden Bowl with Brass Inlay.
Such a range of colors in this piece of pecan, unfortunately, it developed some cracks while the blank was drying, so decided to turn them into a feature. Extended/added with some carving and then inlaid with brass powder.

IMG_0839.JPEG

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a small pear wood box with a copper metal clay insert in the lid. A black gesso painted bead frames the insert. The copper starts as a clay and is formed, carved, stretched, rolled and pressed into textures just like any clay. The clay comes in small packets of copper, sterling silver, bronze, gold, stainless steel and just about any metal. Blended into the clay is a paper like binder. Once the piece is completely dry It is then fired in a small kiln at 1700 degrees fahrenheit where the binder burns off leaving only the metal. Because the binder burns away the original piece shrinks from 10 to 20%. Once out of the kiln it can be soldered, bent, drilled and treated just like any metal of that type. It's a really fun material to work with! Since we're only allowed to show one photo I chose this one with the lid off so you could see the insert better.

PXL_20220316_220019415.jpg

Although this is not Art which appears to be anticipated by the rules committee, it is something practical that all us woodturners use everyday to create our “creations”. This is a Cam-Lock Quick-Release handle system that I just completed this week. The wood is cherry. The 4” aluminum shaft was drilled with a 3/4” bit off center and cut into two pieces and secured by a bronze shaft bushing. In these uncertain economic times, some have more of a concern for costs then esthetics. The handle cost less than $12 in materials and the steel adapter sleeves are 1.50 per tool! The sleeves guarantee that all tools whether round, square or tang shape fit into one handle. This is My wood-metal masterpiece! And…………. Everything was made and bored on my woodturning lathe!
View attachment 44716
Wow! That's great, Dennis. Fun, functional and frugal. Can't beat the 4 Fs!

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Ok, guys, I have a problem. This month's challenge has been a tremendous success. I can only add so many voting checkboxes and looks like we have exceeded the limit. I'm going to need @Chris Fairbanks to look into a way to do it. I'm sorry about the delay. No excuse, but I came down with Covid for a second time! I got behind on orders and to top it all off, my son got married. I had my new out-of-town family here for 10 days. Too much work and partying. Things are getting back to normal. The quality of work this month is mind-blowing!! We are sorry about the delay.

Split the entries into 2 groups? Vote for best of each group? Then a vote for the 2(?) best chosen of the 2 for a 2nd and 1st place? Just a wag.

Back