• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

May 2023 Turning Challenge: Final Results

Vote for your top choice in the May challenge

• Doug Agee

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Larae Palmer

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Sam Fleisher

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Vincent Vogel

Votes: 20 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Voting has ended. Congratulations to Vincent Vogel, winner of the May 2023 Turning Challenge.

The turning challenge for the month of May 2023 was for beginners only and the goal was to turn an egg that could fool a chicken (NOTE: chickens aren't very smart). A turned wooden egg is a very simple form, so simple that it has only one side. Ending up with that just right shape that could fool a chicken hen is just a little more challenging than it might seem at first, but as Dale Nash used to say, "making an egg is easy ... chickens do it with their eyes closed".

Now, the challenge for all forum members (this means you and me) is to choose a winner. Voting begins now and concludes at midnight UTC (coordinated universal time) on Monday, June 19, 2023. You are only allowed one vote and once you have voted, you won't be able to go back and change your vote. After you have voted, you can track the vote totals. The voting is secret (just like an actual election), so nobody else can see who you voted for (not even the moderators/administrators). In case of a tie vote, the forum moderators will gather in a virtual waist-deep shavings-filled shop to determine the winner. As in all previous challenges, the winner might have to pass a lie detector test before being awarded the Grand Prize (rumored to be a dogleg SRG).

Click on the images below to see the original images and descriptions.

Doug Agee.jpgWWWLarae Palmer.jpg

Sam Fleisher.jpgWWWVincent Vogel.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Congratulations Vincent Vogel, winner of the May 2023 Turning Challenge. Thank you, Doug Agee, Larae Palmer, Sam Fleisher, and Vincent Vogel, as new turners, for being brave enough to accept the challenge. No yolking, it's not easy for a new turner to develop a hard enough shell to display their work. Hopefully, this will encourage other new turners to not chicken out. Thanks also to all the forum members who support the challenge by voting ... you're all good eggs.

By the way, Vincent, I must ask ... which one is the real egg? :)

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Congratulations Vincent Vogel, winner of the May 2023 Turning Challenge. Thank you, Doug Agee, Larae Palmer, Sam Fleisher, and Vincent Vogel, as new turners, for being brave enough to accept the challenge. No yolking, it's not easy for a new turner to develop a hard enough shell to display their work. Hopefully, this will encourage other new turners to not chicken out. Thanks also to all the forum members who support the challenge by voting ... you're all good eggs.

:D:D;)
Bill, your post cracked me up!

I figure you're just kidding Bill, but if you aren't the top egg is the real one. If you look close at the picture you can see the red stamp on the end of it that says eggland best, also my egg on the bottom has a little more gloss to it because I didn't have any flat white paint left just satin. Anyways thank you to all who voted for my egg. I started it larger and ended up with the correct size after the skew won a few times but I finally got it to do what I wanted. I was determined to use a skew to do the whole project.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I figure you're just kidding Bill, but if you aren't the top egg is the real one. If you look close at the picture you can see the red stamp on the end of it that says eggland best, also my egg on the bottom has a little more gloss to it because I didn't have any flat white paint left just satin.

You nailed the form and kudos for not letting the skew "whup up on you". I did notice a bit of shine on the lower egg but figured there was the possibility of an overachieving chicken hen laying "designer" eggs. Good thing that you were out of flat white or else my question would have been deadly serious. Not to be outdone by Eggland, maybe you ought to brand your egg with "Vogel's Best".

Back