• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Metal spinning on a wood lathe

John-

I don't spin medal on my Oneway but I turn aluminum, brass and acrylic. Have been doing it for a couple of years. I buy my stock from 5/8 inch to 1 1/2 inch in round stock. I then turn finials out of it, turn balls that I join the main piece to the foot.

GAry:cool2:

Attachments

• 2012-05-11 020 (480x640).jpg
    2012-05-11 020 (480x640).jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 79
Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Sorby makes a line of tools for metal-spinning (on a "wood" lathe)

Tim Yoder did two episodes of his WoodTurning Working (PBS) on the subject

I regularly turn copper and brass pieces that I add to various wood projects on my Rikon lathe. I use my carbide tools, not my regular HSS tools, because I have been a bit nervous about tearing them up. Seems to work very well, and is very easy compared to wood. Never need to sand the metal. Comes away from turning with a nice smooth shiney finish.

I bought my first wood lathe to spin metal on. There is a learning curve with most things, metal spinning included. If you are in the Columbus, Oh area on Jan. 8th, I will be doing a metal spinning demo for the Central Ohio Woodturners in the evening.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Our club has had a couple programs on metal spinning. It is very interestng and as has been said, there is learning curve involved in shaping the metal without tearing it. Some forethought is required in making the wooden form to ensure that the spun metal can be removed from it when finished. It would be real bummer to have to leave the work outdoors in an environment suitable for decaying the trapped wooden form over a couple years. The up side is that the metal could acquire a nice patina during that time.

Sorby makes a line of tools for metal-spinning (on a "wood" lathe)

Tim Yoder did two episodes of his WoodTurning Working (PBS) on the subject

I wouldn't say he did two episodes. Maybe more like 1 1/2. The one episode was all apologies about using the wrong thickness of material.

For our October 2012 program (North Florida Woodturners), Ernie Conover gave a demo on metal spinning. He favors pewter, because it doesn't need to be annealed. Most other metals require periodic annealing to relieve strain-hardening, so as to avoid cracking.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I've been fascinated with metal spinning since I first saw it done about 20 years ago. I haven't done it yet but it's very high on my bucket list. I actually started making the tools and tool rest several years ago but it got side tracked and they are still setting there.
I do turn aluminum, brass, and copper on my wood lathe using standard High speed steel wood turning tools. Copper work hardens worse than the others and sometimes won't turn well unless you anneal it but 90% of the time it turns just fine.
I haven't tried turning pewter yet but it's softer than the others so it should not be a problem.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I also am interested in giving metal spinning a "spin". I have turned several types of soft metals and they turn fairly easily. Brass works especially well. I have turned copper wire and copper plumbing fittings. I even turned a copper hammer once (don't ask why). It was definitely much harder than any other copper turning that I have done. Copper wire is generally annealed and turns well. Plumbing fittings are a bit harder, but still turn easily enough. The main thing is to always take very light cuts.

Recently I had some fourteen gauge wiring that I pulled out of the wall when doing some rewiring to add a 240 volt circuit for my lathe. I started wondering how the wire would look as a decorative element in a turning so I stripped the insulation and twisted two ten foot lengths together at about two turns per inch.

I decided to test the idea in a platter that I was making for our club's Christmas auction. While the wood was still a rough blank, I turned a deep groove that gave a tight fit for the wire, painted the groove black, stuffed the wire into the groove and filled it with clear epoxy. I turned the edge down just enough to remove about a third of the diameter of the twisted pair. The results looked good enough to encourage me to give it another try. I guess this means I will need to pull some more wiring out of the wall. :D

_MG_1956_enhanced_crop.jpg

John Lucas-

Have melted and poured pewter into pieces that I have done. It cuts very easy. This is done when I'm ruffing in the piece, after pouring the pewter into the piece weither it is a grove or into cracks or knots- next I put a coat of thin and medium super glue to help hold the medal in place as I turn the piece and sand it.

Gary:cool2:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Heck of a neat experiment. Is that a soft maple with flame and tiger stripes??? Or am I over interpreting? Gretch

I'm not sure that I can name everything going on in the piece of wood, but when I saw the piece of wood sitting in the local Rockler hardware, I said to myself, "self I've got to get that piece of wood". It was just marked maple, but it is some variety of soft maple. The diameter is just a hair under 13 inches.

When I was in 9th grade, learning industrial arts (about 45 years ago) we did metal turning. We used hard maple pieces to spin the metal (aluminum an copper) onto the form. I remember making sure the wood tip was soaked in a pot of liquid wax every so often. You first tuned he form,making sure that no closed radius existed, then lightly scribed with a pencil he center of the metal blank,positioned it on the form, drew up the tail stock with a matching size base as the bottom of he form, and slowly applied pressure with the wood stick against the post on the rest. Only when the edge needing turning away did we use a metal square edger tool,but back then it was carbon steel. You can always use steel rounded tools,but the wood worked without marking the metal. For aluminum bowls you would dip it into a pot of molten wax, carefully scrape out a design and dip the piece into acid etching the design leaving the rest of the wax to mask that portion. With copper you did the same and dipped it into ammonia fertilizer solution. Today, just use a paste made of miracle grow. he patina forms quickly.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
It should be noted here that metal "spinning" and metal "turning" are two completely different things. I don't feel confident in talking about spinning other than to comment it is pushing metal into a form and forcing it outward, sort of like a horizontal clay wheel but pushing it with tools (I know, a poor explanation).
Metal turning, at least soft metals like brass and aluminum, are near the same as wood turning, but your tool edge doesn't last as long with metal if you use your same woodturning tools.

Both spinning and turning or metal can be accomplished on a wood lathe, but both require different tools.

Back