• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Michael in American Woodturner

The latest issue arrived yesterday and there is a beautiful display of our own Michael Anderson's work on the inside of the front cover. As we all know, his work is wonderful, and it's great to see him receive this acknowledgement. Even more impressive to me, though, is that all of the varied pieces are from this past year. Usually, in spreads like this the work is more uniform and comes from a 4-5 year span. Michael is not only creative and skilled, he's also prolific. Also, when a turner reaches this level of accomplishment, they often have a defined series or style of pieces for which they are known. Not so with Michael--the work is imaginative and each pieces seems unique. Fantastic work, Michael, and well deserved recognition. BTW, Michael will be demonstrating at the Rocky Mountain Symposium this fall. (Rereading this, I sound like his agent or something. Nope, just an admirer.)

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Well shoot Dean, thanks so much for the nice comments. I'm beaming on the other side of my computer. The agent comment cracked me up.

It's pretty exciting to have the spread, and to be honest a bit surreal. In many ways, I have to give credit to you and a bunch of other people here. Being involved in this forum has led to so many inspirational/motivational leaps, and I definitely wouldn't be turning/carving/whatever as often without the support of this community. On another note, it is funny to look at the spread as a little snippet of my turning history. Several pathways I started down, only to get distracted by something. There are still few ideas I hope to revisit. Sometimes I have a bit of a hard time focusing, but in the end it's all a learning experience. Cheers everyone!

The journal was in my mailbox yesterday - got distracted and didn't open it until late last night - was pleasantly surprised at Michael's spread. Much deserved - the breadth of work and the quality of not just the craft, but the ideas well expressed is truly impressive. Well done, Michael. I can't wait to see where this journey leads you next...

As we all know, his work is wonderful, and it's great to see him receive this acknowledgement. Even more impressive to me, though, is that all of the varied pieces are from this past year. Usually, in spreads like this the work is more uniform and comes from a 4-5 year span. Michael is not only creative and skilled, he's also prolific. Also, when a turner reaches this level of accomplishment, they often have a defined series or style of pieces for which they are known. Not so with Michael--the work is imaginative and each pieces seems unique. Fantastic work, Michael, and well deserved recognition. BTW, Michael will be demonstrating at the Rocky Mountain Symposium this fall. (Rereading this, I sound like his agent or something. Nope, just an admirer.)
Congrats, Michael! Add me to the long list of admirers.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Congrats, Michael! Add me to the long list of admirers.

Well, I don't have my current issue of AW yet.....but, you can bet I'll be checking it out.

You have a special gift, Michael......obviously, everybody here knows that! :)

Don't let yourself burn out......like so many others do... :(

-o-

Absolutely deserved! I’m going hard the other way Michael; keep em coming hard and fast! Try anything that enters your mind. Take two things together and make a third! Run out of ideas and then climb outside of the box you just created for yourself and move in another direction! I’ve seen it in your eyes….there’s no stopping you; you’re correct in wanting to know what’s on the other side of that hill over there….and then the hill after that!! You will not run dry my Friend!!

The latest issue arrived yesterday and there is a beautiful display of our own Michael Anderson's work on the inside of the front cover. As we all know, his work is wonderful, and it's great to see him receive this acknowledgement. Even more impressive to me, though, is that all of the varied pieces are from this past year. Usually, in spreads like this the work is more uniform and comes from a 4-5 year span. Michael is not only creative and skilled, he's also prolific. Also, when a turner reaches this level of accomplishment, they often have a defined series or style of pieces for which they are known. Not so with Michael--the work is imaginative and each pieces seems unique. Fantastic work, Michael, and well deserved recognition. BTW, Michael will be demonstrating at the Rocky Mountain Symposium this fall. (Rereading this, I sound like his agent or something. Nope, just an admirer.)
Very well said Dean. I have the pleasure of being in Tri State Woodturners with Michael and have seen his passion in action. The woodturning world will be hearing/seeing much more of Michael’s work.

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Thanks a lot everyone. You sure do know how to stroke someone’s ego. Hahaha. But seriously, I appreciate you all. 😊

My feelings for Michael and his contributions to this community couldn’t be greater. Besides being a crackerjack turner, he has been tireless in his sharing of opinions, accolades and information. I have directly messaged Michael a few times and he has been very timely and generous with his responses. I have thanked you before and I thank you here again Michael for all that you do! I look forward to receiving the magazine.

Back