• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Mike Haydon

Greetings from central Illinois.
My wife, Cathy and I recently purchased a Grizzly G0733 at auction (18 x 47), which also included a "bucket-o-lathe chisels". Skews, parting tools, etc. Our intent had been to flip it, as it went cheap.
However, in the interim we decided to take a bowl urning class at a local WW shop and are going to give turning a "go". Our primary interest at present would be bowls. I found a used Supernova2 chuck with additional jaws, and that is now fitted. I plan to buy an inexpensive 3/8" bowl gouge to start.

My primary WW focus has been cabinetry and furniture repair/repurposing, we buy broken things on the cheap and resell after a bit of sweat equity, not a business, but something we do together that eeks out a small profit.

A few photos of the shop below, The workbench and lumber cart I built, and a lazy susan from our kitchen remodel, also diy.

Good morning!

Attachments

• IMG_0373.jpg
    IMG_0373.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3310.jpg
    IMG_3310.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3319.jpg
    IMG_3319.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 22
You'll want to learn how to sharpen your lathe tools ASAP. They don't necessarily come sharp from the factory. I recommend www.turnawoodbowl.com for sharpening tips and general turning info. Great site.

You'll need a good low-speed grinder and, at some point, the Oneway Wolverine Jig. CBN wheels for the grinder are expensive but will last forever.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Yep, what the others have said. I think of it like the Mastercard commercial... Used cheap lathe: $300 ... Work Holding accessories: $600... Lathe Tools & Sharpening stuff: $900 ..... learning how to use them all well and a lifetime of fun: Priceless.... and then the never-ending quest for improvement in self, leading to tens of thousands of dollars of new purchases down the road..... (Nice new Robust American Beauty is like $10K by itself...) Too bad they don't have a tool truck for woodturners.. (Hey, Matco and MAC tools, here's an idea for you!) if they did, I'd probably be up to my eyeballs in weekly payments....

Yep, what the others have said. I think of it like the Mastercard commercial... Used cheap lathe: $300 ... Work Holding accessories: $600... Lathe Tools & Sharpening stuff: $900 ..... learning how to use them all well and a lifetime of fun: Priceless.... and then the never-ending quest for improvement in self, leading to tens of thousands of dollars of new purchases down the road..... (Nice new Robust American Beauty is like $10K by itself...) Too bad they don't have a tool truck for woodturners.. (Hey, Matco and MAC tools, here's an idea for you!) if they did, I'd probably be up to my eyeballs in weekly payments....
I'm not so sure a Grizzly G0733 constitutes a cheap lathe, but to each his own...

Website
I'm not so sure a Grizzly G0733 constitutes a cheap lathe, but to each his own...
Ahh..:oops:
Our intent had been to flip it, as it went cheap.
So I assumed :cool:, you got a good deal on it..... But, yeah I know the 0733 isn't exactly cheap.. (The Harbor Freight 12 x 36 I bought used was $300 complete with a no-name scroll chuck added in, at the time a new one of the same was $180 by itself and I didn't even look at what I could have bought a brand new 12x36 for from Harbor Freight.. which was $399 at the time... talk about cheap.... ) My own goal (Realistic one) is to eventually get a Jet 1840 - maybe after I get my old house sold, with a little extra cash to work with.... Definitely not a cheap lathe there either..

Ahh..:oops:

So I assumed :cool:, you got a good deal on it..... But, yeah I know the 0733 isn't exactly cheap.. (The Harbor Freight 12 x 36 I bought used was $300 complete with a no-name scroll chuck added in, at the time a new one of the same was $180 by itself and I didn't even look at what I could have bought a brand new 12x36 for from Harbor Freight.. which was $399 at the time... talk about cheap.... ) My own goal (Realistic one) is to eventually get a Jet 1840 - maybe after I get my old house sold, with a little extra cash to work with.... Definitely not a cheap lathe there either..
Ok, Understood, I over-reacted, as per the usual. Allow me the Grace to recover.
We paid $700 and it appears all but un-used, which I considered "inexpensive" =0) From what I have read, it's a sound lathe.

Website
Ok, Understood, I over-reacted, as per the usual. Allow me the Grace to recover.
We paid $700 and it appears all but un-used, which I considered "inexpensive" =0) From what I have read, it's a sound lathe.
Yup. Either way - $700 for a $2500 lathe that's barely been used is still one heck of a bargain! If I'd see one come up around here at that price, I'd max out a credit card on a cash withdrawal if I had to, to go get it. (Its pretty comparable to the $3K Jet 1840 I want) So, still a cheap lathe any way you slice it (Cheap as in Beer, rather than Cheap as in quality) Nice find! and you got tools on top (Even if they were older or cheaper quality carbon steel, they can still be quite useful.) Any case, Welcome to the "club" , and the forums! Look forward to seeing your (and SWMBO's) work in the future.

Welcome! Thats a good deal on that lathe. Should serve you well for many years. With a focus on bowls I’d recommend starting with a 5/8” shaft vs a 3/8”, one of each would be best. Before you start buying lots of acc find an AAW chapter nearby. Usually lots of different tools etc and opinions to go along with them.

Back