• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Mitre saw

I have the Festool Kapex. It does have a hose on it. I still built a hood around it because the vacuum hose only gets about 80 to 90% of the dust. I am sure most of the others will have dust collection on them. That is a newer thing, and a must have for use in the shop. Not so necessary when used out in the open on construction sites. Walk by some construction sites and see what they use.

robo hippy

I have the Festool Kapex. It does have a hose on it. I still built a hood around it because the vacuum hose only gets about 80 to 90% of the dust. I am sure most of the others will have dust collection on them. That is a newer thing, and a must have for use in the shop. Not so necessary when used out in the open on construction sites. Walk by some construction sites and see what they use.

robo hippy
Like others tried to make my own, I do hook my Festool vacumn but like you said using indoors still a problem.
Thank you happy healthy holidays.

I I still built a hood around it because the vacuum hose only gets about 80 to 90% of the dust.

robo hippy
May we see a pic of your hood. I saw your sanding hood, liked it so much that I made one. Am hoping your saw hood will inspire me to make one for my shop. Less dust is a good thing. :)

Some day, I should learn to post pictures..... Anyway, I got a sheet of 1/4 thick plastic, the white stuff. I made a half round circle about 30 inch diameter, and about 27 inches high to compensate for the handle. Directly in the back center, I put a floor type vent in it vertically. This does pull in all of the dust created. Mostly I am using it for rough cuts, and do finish cuts on my table saw. Hope that helps with the picture. I do not think the food grade drum that I used for my sanding hood would help much. I can get sheets of the plastic up to 5 by 10 feet. Next time, if there is one, I will use thinner stuff. Oh, I did take a square of 3/4 plywood to make a form for the curve. Cut out the circle, then cut that piece in half so there was a top and bottom. I have a 4 inch dust collection hose that goes to the floor vent.

robo hippy

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I have a Makita SCMS. The little dust collection bag doesn’t catch much of the dust. With a good shop vac it collects almost all of the dust.

The most important part of a SCMS is accuracy of the miter and bevel angles.

Some day, I should learn to post pictures..... Anyway, I got a sheet of 1/4 thick plastic, the white stuff. I made a half round circle about 30 inch diameter, and about 27 inches high to compensate for the handle. Directly in the back center, I put a floor type vent in it vertically. This does pull in all of the dust created.

robo hippy
Reed, your directions are clear and easy to follow. Thanks. I plan to visit my go to hardware store to pick a sheet. I was right. I am inspired by your ingenuity. Thanks for sharing.:)

Back