• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Ronald Campbell for "Guardian Penguin" being selected as Turning of the Week for June 10, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Morse Taper Extension

The large size of the PM 4224 headstock gets in the way of working at the headstock end of short spindles. A MT2-MT2 extension would seem a possible aid, but the one I found was not sympathetic to MT2 drives - the end of the drive did not reach the drift key slot, and I don't have milling machine equipment. Has anyuone found a reliable source for an MT2 extension for woodturning spur and StecCenter drives?

Would this work? #2 to #2, and has a slot for a pry bar rod so you can drive your center out of the extension. This is one example I found at Amazon for about $20.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
MT2-MT2 extension would seem a possible aid,

I use these extensions with my spur center and safe center mostly to reach inside hollows in the blank.

Some of the short Morse tapers might be too short to reach the drift pin slot.

The ONEWAY safe center and Delta spur drives have tapers long enough to reach the drift slot.

For a quick and dirty you can make a pin drive. If your finished end is a 1/4 inch or more in diameter and you use or hide the hole you can turn flush to the wood and pin. You can also cut the piece free ahead of the hole sacrificing 1/2” of wood with a 3/8 long pin.

Either turn a Morse taper from wood or mount a block in a chuck. Make the working end long enough for the clearance you want.
Then drill an 1/8” hole in your blank and the center of the wood drive.
Put a 1/8 brass rod in the drive. Steel is ok, you can even run a drill bit into the wood drive for the pin.

Then just mount your blanks over the pin and snug up with the tail stock.

We used a bunch of these drives in kids classes to turn fan pulls than had 1/8” through holes for the chains.

Here is a guide to turning a wooden MT

Last edited:
Back