• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Motor for Delta Midi

The motor on my Delta midi decided that it wanted to run backwards as well as forward. I realize that a reversing lathe has its benefits, but I would like to decide when to reverse instead of the lathe. Anyone know of a place I can get an aftermarket motor without going to Delta? The motor isn't repairable. You know the saying, If I can't fix it I can fix it so no one else can. Thanks, Dale

Johnson said:
The motor on my Delta midi decided that it wanted to run backwards as well as forward.

Having no spouse to help, induction motors take direction from their capacitors. Yours is bad. Replace it.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
MichaelMouse said:
Having no spouse to help, induction motors take direction from their capacitors. Yours is bad. Replace it.
That is an eloquent and painfully true analogy to explain the problem. Like MM says get a new capacitor -- the cost is less than $10. The other option is to get it into therapy so that it knows which way to swing -- the cost is considerably greater and may not achieve the desired results.

Bill

If you decide to take MM's advice (I would) and replace the capacitor yourself you can probably get the OEM part from your nearest Delta Service Center. It might be possible to disassemble your motor, identify the capacitor and try to find it in your local area (an electric motor repair shop perhaps) but that can sometimes be time consuming and frustrating.
Here's a link for determining where you nearest Delta service center is located. I've found the Delta service centers in this region to be quite helpful; they'll even mail the part.

http://www.deltamachinery.com/index.asp?e=159

nuturner said:
If you decide to take MM's advice (I would) and replace the capacitor yourself you can probably get the OEM part from your nearest Delta Service Center. It might be possible to disassemble your motor, identify the capacitor and try to find it in your local area (an electric motor repair shop perhaps) but that can sometimes be time consuming and frustrating.

Note there's a possible pitfall here. Believe the motor in question is cpacitor-start-capacitor-run. Means a mere match of capacitance/voltage isn't enough. You'll want the proper type as well. Motor shops are likely to have what you want once you bring it in, but just reading the numbers over the 'phone might not do it.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Capacitor failures

I can't say whether this applies to the Delta midi, but there has been a rash of reports on the various woodturning discussion groups about the capacitor on Jet mini lathes failing. I can't say for certain, but the capacitor sure does look a lot like a start capacitor and not one designed for start/run service which are typically oil-filled and resembles a Prince Albert can. Start-run capacitors are typically used on HVAC blower motors and also are normally mounted on the blower housing rather than the motor frame to avoid soaking up heat from the motor. The same idea would be good for capacitors on mini lathes because those motors can get very hot. When the capacitor on my Jet mini poops out, I plant to find an oil-filled start/run capacitor at Grainger of the appropriate capacitanced and working voltage and to attach it to the underside of the lathe rather than in intimate contact with the motor frame. This also removes the need to worry about form factor.

All motor capacitors will eventually fail, but I don't see any need to help speed up the process by heat-soaking it.

Bill

Last edited:
Back