• Congratulations to 2024 AAW Member Exhibition Common Roots forum member finalists (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Ethan Hoff for "Globe Ornament" being selected as Turning of the Week for October 21, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Mystery wood

I have a mystery on my hands. A beautiful slab I bought from another woodturner and neither of us can figure out what it is.
IMG_3312.jpeg
Heres a view of some bark on the slabIMG_3322.jpeg
End grain hereIMG_3323.jpeg
And the side grainIMG_3324.jpeg
The wood seems a bit harder than maple and turns with little to no tearout. You can see the chatoyance on the first shot. Ive never seen anything like it before.

Doesn't look like any Catalpa I've turned. Similar look as some Myrtle Burl I turned. However, as pretty as it was, I don't remember that much chatoyance in the Myrtle burl as your piece appears to have.

Thought I commented on this already, but apparently not. My first thought was myrtle/California Bay Laurel. It is a marketing thing, kind of like Brazilian Cherry. It is not a myrtle in any way shape or form.... The only difference between Oregon Myrtle wood and California Bay Laurel is the state border..... Myrtle will have a sweet spicy smell to it, unless it is starting to rot, and then it smells like a horse stall. Catalpa does have a sweetish smell to it that I do not like at all. Probably some figured bay... If you live in Oregon, you have to turn some of it.... All the tourists want it. It does have an interlocking grain, and the higher grit you sand to, the more it glows.

robo hippy

Back