• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

natural edge rescue?

Hi,

Natural edge bowls are really nice, unless all the bark comes off. Is there a way to rescue or compensate for this or did I just create firewood?

Herb

Max Taylor

In Memoriam
natural edge rescue

No. Just clean all the bark off, then get a small tipped torch and burn the edge where the bark was. wire brush lightly and apply your favorite finish. What I would do, Max.

Website
www.michaelvickery.com
Last edited:
Dribble some CA glue into the cambium and bark before turning. Wipe with a paper towel. Stop turning and repeat periodically as you work to the final shape. Works like a charm.

Joe

NE Items

Herb,
Just a different point of view: many pieces done with a natural edge don't have bark. They are still natural edge with the waviness or undulations in the rim. You may even find that the unbarked edge without burning blends better with the colors of the specific piece better than the burnt edge. You can always burn it after if you don't like it! That said, try the CA method to keep the bark on, it works, but don't throw the bowl away because you lose some!
Good Luck!:)

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Hi Herb,

I often use woods with a with a pronounced sap ring like cherry or walnut.
these look great even without the bark. If you are into embellishment a carved pattern piercing in the sap ring makes an attractive border.

Also some woods like walnut don't seem to be attached tot heir bark while others like Holly hold the bark really well.

some woods like locust have a sap ring and terrific thick bark that looks spectacular.

I find that CA is essential to harden the bark to minimize its shrinkage. without CA the bark will shrink more than the wood ans make an uneven surface that I dislike.
CA lets the bark take a bit of sanding.

I generally sand the wood wood only up to 220 then sand the bark with 320 to blend it into the wood. I do all my sanding off the lathe.

happy turning,
Al

Last edited:
Website
www.abhats.com
I've found green (wet) wood keeps its bark best and also use CA as others have said. Cherry bark has great texture and also stays on better for me. I've not had problems with black walnut, but don't know about other sub-species. Pecan and hickory works while green, but I've had difficulties when it's dry.

Lincoln Hills, CA (At the foot of the Sierra Nevad
Website
jerryhallstudio.com
You have gotten great advice but

if you still lose some bark at the end, or during drying, or if a void appears under the bark I have had good luck by:
- saving bark scraps and piecing a bit in, carving and fitting with a scalpel shaped exacto knife
- using coffee grounds, or walnut sanding dust to carefully fill voids and repair cracks
- dark brown and black Sharpie pens to further mask the repair
- or a little burning, but this has been my least favored option

Works for me, and often I can't easily find my mistakes a week or so later.

I still hold firmly to the maxim that the mark of a great turner is how well he can repair and hide his screwups :cool2:

Back