• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Need a woodturning lawyer

Hi All; In looking into the February Gathering here in Pensacola. I feel I will need some sort of a liability release for everyone who attends. So I'm looking for a personal injury lawyer to write up a liability release form for me. Are there any lawyers out there who can help? I think a woodturning lawyer would be helpful as he knows well what dangers are associated with turning. Thanks OB

Hey OB,

The good news is that, if it is an AAW event and anyone touching a tool is a member, I'm pretty sure you're covered. Track down the info on the main site under AAW liability insurance.

Dietrich

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
A Hold Harmless agreement is not binding in Texas (and probably most other states as well) because you can’t legally wave your right to sue. Insurance is what you should be shopping for.

Nobody with any brains is going to sign a liability release to attend a show/symposium. What is needed is liability insurance for those who are the demonstrators. If this is an event that is being sponsored by AAW affiliated clubs and the demonstrators are members of the AAW, then they automatically have liability insurance.

Have you ever attended a woodworking show or any other trade show where you had to sign a liability release to get in? Only a fool would do so.

Bill

Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I looked into liability insurance for the small turning gathering I have at my house in the spring. I decided they would just have sue and take what little I have because it simply isn't worth the amount of money the insurance agent wanted. No self respection lawyer would look at my bank account and think it's worth while to sue. I don't let anyone but me use the Bandsaw and I watch very carefully anyone using the chainsaw.

john lucas said:
I don't let anyone but me use the Bandsaw and I watch very carefully anyone using the chainsaw.

Watch very carefully for someone using THEIR OWN CHAINSAW. Have'em keep their mitts off of yours, or better yet, lock it up. I'm willing to bet there are more injuries and much more serious injuries with chainsaws each year than there are with bandsaws.

OB look for my e-mail

I agree with Mark. I spent 31 years in the forest products industry and I think the chain saw is the most dangerous tool available to the average modern man.

Stan

whitefence said:
I agree with Mark. I spent 31 years in the forest products industry and I think the chain saw is the most dangerous tool available to the average modern man.

Stan

Ditto. And I've got a pair of air conditioned boots to prove it. Thankfully, I still have my foot.

After ruining a pair of jeans and shredding some skin on my knee, I am now the proud owner of a pair of chainsaw chaps. SWMBO insisted. Stylish and yet will stop a chainsaw(I hope) :D

Website
www.almather.com
This turn of direction on this thread has reminded me of the pictures in the latest AAW magazine, I think, of the chain saw stand - or whatever. (Looks handy, and am thinking of building one.) But - in the pictures - did you notice the safety gear: sneakers and short pants!

Al

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Chainsaw chaps

gran said:
After ruining a pair of jeans and shredding some skin on my knee, I am now the proud owner of a pair of chainsaw chaps. SWMBO insisted. Stylish and yet will stop a chainsaw(I hope) :D

Actually... what they do is fowl the chain, after it starts cutting. So you get cut, but the leg is not cut off (yes I own a pair also)

I have often been laughed at when I've suited up with the chaps, helmet with face shield and ear muffs and heavy boots for each and EVERY cut. I just ask the laughers how much their legs and feet are worth. :D

Back