• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

need Powermatic advice

My powermatic 3520A went down. Powermatic`s opinion is probably the inverter and its specific program for my model went bad. So I said "send me a $900 new one.
I was warned that seeking it elsewhere might have wrong or no programming. I have waited months now and need to wait more, apparently it is on a slow boat from China
Has anyone else had a similar problem and experience?

You could purchase a cheap China VFD rated for your motor on your lathe and wire it up to run until you get the factory unit.
Just make sure you draw out a wiring diagram for how the factory has it wired right now. You can take some photos of the
wiring or take a video of de-terming all of the wiring to remove the old VFD to make it easier when rewiring later on.

Many of us have purchased VFDs and installed them on Powermatics. VFDs have become basically like toasters. A $200 VFD in today's world is better than the VFD that came with your Powermatic. They are not quite plug and play, but the wiring is pretty straightforward and the programming has been done before by others. There are resources on this forum to help.

I am going through the same problem right now, replacing my VFD. I did find a replacement on eBay and when I last looked they were still available. same model Number as my original. Programming it has not been easy but I think I might have it sort of. it now will turn on occasionally but I think my power switch is faulty (it's no longer available either). I'm beginning ti think I might just find me a togge switch somewhere and put it in instead of the push pull. I am posting a link to the VFD I got.

Powermatic on-off buttons are an ordinary switch, readily available at little cost from suppliers such as McMaster-Carr, Grainger, or even Amazon.

Powermatic on-off buttons are an ordinary switch, readily available at little cost from suppliers such as McMaster-Carr, Grainger, or even Amazon.

Or just use a couple light switches for just a couple bucks.

The generic VFD I picked up on Amazon was pretty easy to wire up and program. It's been running great for 5 years and if it died tomorrow, it owes me nothing. For just $124, I'd buy the same one again.

A few months back, I bought a 3520B from a gentleman who got frustrated with trying to fix it. He bought a new, $900 VFD from Powermatic, and even had their service techs install it. Never got it to work properly. Once I got it home, I figured out that it wasn't programmed correctly...directly from Delta, through Powermatic. I got it mostly working, except for the braking. I think the VFD is actually faulty. I'm probably going to buy a new one and start from scratch. So, getting one from Powermatic is no guarantee that it's going to work.

I have used Automation Direct in the past and highly recommend them as they backup all of the products they sell and still give you a low price point.
If you give them the model number of the machine they may be able to supply a direct replacement of the defective part.
Also note that they are an excellent source for replacement VFDs that have built in parameter setting capability.

I bought a 3520-C when they first came out. About 6 months ago, the "on" switch became very iffy, only starting every 4th or 5th attempt. I called Powermatic, and they sent me a replacement switch free of charge. I have had no problems since the switch was replaced.

William, I imagine you have been able to get that inverter worked out by now, 9 months later. If you or anyone needs parameters for the latest version of the 3520B Delta inverter, Delta-VFD-MS300 VFD7A5MS21ANSAA, I can send you the parameters I got from PM. Google Doc Green to find photos/advice on various topics, including inverter installation.

With as many Powermatics that have crapped out VFD's, maybe I should program the cheap generic ones form Amazon and resell as a plug & play option. I have an extra one sitting here on my shelf...

With as many Powermatics that have crapped out VFD's, maybe I should program the cheap generic ones form Amazon and resell as a plug & play option. I have an extra one sitting here on my shelf...
Or better yet go to a reputable dealer like "Automation Direct" pay a little more then Amazon and get good customer support. The 6 VFD,s I currently have in my shop have never failed and that includes the one on my wood lathe that is used the most and is constantly covered in dust and shavings. The oldest is a Cutler Hammer branded unit that is on my Bridgeport Mill and was installed about the year 2000. I also installed an older Allen Bradley unit from about 1995 on my brothers lathe. Also I never heard of Delta brand until they started showing up on PM lathes.

There is a company called Upfix. I sent my VFD (off of my 3520A) that was throwing a code to them and the fixed it with a 2 yr warrantee. After hooking it up I'm back up and running. Very pleased with them and the turn around time was 1 week incase anyone was thinking of going that route. $265ish for the fix and shipping.

Or just use a couple light switches for just a couple bucks.

The generic VFD I picked up on Amazon was pretty easy to wire up and program. It's been running great for 5 years and if it died tomorrow, it owes me nothing. For just $124, I'd buy the same one again.

I bought one of the LaPond controllers for my 3520b. Took me a morning to set it up. Here is the link that I followed. https://www.aawforum.org/community/threads/powermatic-3520b-vfd-replacement.14784/
The only problem I had to figure out was to run an extra wire from the switch back to the new controller. It has some nice extra features that I like better than the original one.

Cheers,
David

You could check with Factorymation (https://www.factorymation.com/). They are located in Canton, Georgia. I have purchased three VFDs from them and their tech support is spectacular! They will help with whatever questions that you have. Also, though I do not have a Powermatic, am I correct that they use Delta VFDs? Factorymation lists Delta as one of the brands that they sell.

William, I imagine you have been able to get that inverter worked out by now, 9 months later. If you or anyone needs parameters for the latest version of the 3520B Delta inverter, Delta-VFD-MS300 VFD7A5MS21ANSAA, I can send you the parameters I got from PM. Google Doc Green to find photos/advice on various topics, including inverter installation.
Hey Steve, If you could send me the parameters for the MS300 invertor I would really appreciate it. I called PW today and was told they don't have them. dbrinks@chartermi.net

Back