• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

New Contest

Since I have noted the large number of viewers and responses plus a slight tendency to play “Can You Top This†in the threads concerning the delays in arrival of the AAW Journal, I’ve tried to come up with a way to turn this unfortunate situation around to something positive. I have therefore decided to post a contest with regard to the Winter Journal.

I’ve dubbed it the Last Man Standing Contest.

Prize: A 1-year membership renewal in the AAW [$40 value, non-transferrable, non-redeemable]

Rules are simple:

1. The prize will be awarded to the person who can substantiate that they were the very last person to receive their copy of the Journal from those sent in the Issue’s general November mailing. Obviously, replacement copies do not qualify.

2. To be Eligible participants must
a) have been AAW members on November 15, 2005, the date of the alleged mailing of the Winter Issue of the Journal; and
b) have mailing addresses within the 50 States of the US or the U.S. Protectorates of Puerto Rico or Guam;

3. Contest submissions must be made over the entrant’s signature, must be accompanied by the sworn attestations of the entrant’s letter carrier and local post master/mistress as to the actual date of delivery, and must include a copy of the entrant’s Membership Card and the entire back page of the Journal including the address box as received.

4. For obvious reasons, this contest is not open to AAW Members who are or who have family members (by blood or marriage) who are employees of the U.S. Postal Service or the Journal’s printer/publisher.

5. We must also exclude those deserving AAW members in foreign countries, and hope you all understand that residents of Norway and the Northern Territories of Australia would have an unfair advantage in this instance.

6. All entries must be received before the mailing date of the 2006 Winter Issue of the Journal; sorry folks, but there’s got to be an end to it somewhere.

7. In case of a tie, the Judge’s decision will be final; most likely arbitrary, but still final.

8. In the event we do not have a clear winner based upon a date certain, a consolation prize may (or may not) be awarded for the most original entry containing reasons why your copy arrived late. We must stress, however, that strict rules on plagiarism will be followed, so stuff about the dog (cat, donky, ferret, or other domesticated animal) having abused it in some way, the death of a grandparent, or hijacking of the mail truck by Bass Separatists, and the long list of others which I personally already used back in college will be immediately disqualified.

The lucky winner will be announced here on the Forum as soon after the submission deadline as possible, but before the Membership Renewal date.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
M

mkart

it's here!

Did I win? :D

My journal showed up Thursday Feb 2nd. I'll bet it would have a story to tell if it could talk. Anyone else get their missing copy recently? My replacement came about three weeks ago.
Matt

Hey, Wait a minute, here!

I go to the trouble of not only drawing up the contest, but also putting my own bucks on the line, and now I'm gettin' dissed for the effort?

I'm calling "FOUL!"

With all the complaining that mail screwup caused, I figured there'd be a ton of entries. All I got was two. One, an extortion attempt cut out of news print (probably a segmenter), and the other making vague references to Al-Quiada and somebody's goat.

Jeez, if we can't do better than that, it's not MY fault!

:D :D

Andy Hoyt

In Memoriam
Website
www.downscaledesigns.com
Oh, yes it is.

Maybe next time you should have a lawyer draw up the rules.

Oh wait, never mind.

I see you took care of "rigging" it yourself.

rigging = lawyerizer speak for ensuring that non awarded tax deductible contest prize money can be applied towards self-inflicted dual-tax deductible attorney's fees in the second year following the last day of the fifth fiscal quarter in a month with no waning moon. Should said occasion occur in a leap year, all records will self destruct on April 43rd in the year following the next World Series win by the Chicago Cubs. ref: USC Title XXIV Section BR549

Andy Hoyt said:
rigging = lawyerizer speak for ensuring that non awarded tax deductible contest prize money can be applied towards self-inflicted dual-tax deductible attorney's fees in the second year following the last day of the fifth fiscal quarter in a month with no waning moon. Should said occasion occur in a leap year, all records will self destruct on April 43rd in the year following the next World Series win by the Chicago Cubs. ref: USC Title XXIV Section BR549

Hey, Andy,

If you get tired of spinning wood for a living, I know one or two Philadelphia firms that could probably use you.

Of course, if you wanted to really get into it, I'll see if I can get you an intro to the reg-writing departments of a couple of Federal agencies. I have the feeling, though, that you write a bit too clearly for them, so don't hold out too much hope.

;)

Last edited:
Mark Mandell said:
Hey, Wait a minute, here! ..................................
With all the complaining that mail screwup caused, I figured there'd be a ton of entries. All I got was two. One, an extortion attempt cut out of news print (probably a segmenter), and the other making vague references to Al-Quiada and somebody's goat.
:D :D

WHAT about my goat????????

Andy Hoyt said:
Woodturner - Lawyer?

Lawyer - Woodturner?

Woodturner - Lawyer?

Sorry Mark - I can neither afford the income reduction, nor the loss of social standing.

Uh Uh. I wasn't suggesting you become a lawyer, only that you write so that nobody, including lawyers, can understand it except on the sixth Tuesday of the month.

Back