• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

New lidded box

You had me at whisky .....O.K. - let's go...now I have see how to do this.

Jon Stewart Popcorn GIF

I like this. I have a urn for my wife on my to do list. Could you share the Angle and width and thickness of the staves and the finished diameter and width? My wife loves Irish Whiskey. Needless to say I will have to check with her. Sometimes what I think is cool she thinks I am out of my gourd :)

I like this. I have a urn for my wife on my to do list. Could you share the Angle and width and thickness of the staves and the finished diameter and width? My wife loves Irish Whiskey. Needless to say I will have to check with her. Sometimes what I think is cool she thinks I am out of my gourd :)
I don’t remember the angle. I never plan too far ahead. I just figured out how many would work with a good angle to cut and started cutting. I wish I would have made them thicker so the barrel would have been more rounded on the outside. I will post some measurements when I get time.

Rusty - I think you just "prototyped" a really neat idea. This one was great -and your next one will be even better. Bing selfish here...I would love to see a step-by-step on how you did this - or a video.
I am a Jack Daniel's Squire - which is a interesting/fun bunch of crazies....So - you can see my interest in making one of these for myself.

Pat I am sorry it took so long to answer your question. There are 18 staves so the angle I ripped them at was 10 degrees. They were straight not curved. They were around 1” thick and next time I will go at least 1.5” so I can get more curve on the outside. The barrel is 7.5” in diameter and 11” tall. I glued it all together and had two open ends. In order to turn it I cut one end square on my bandsaw and then glued a board on it to attach a faceplate. It seemed very sturdy but put a steady rest on it to get rid of vibration. The recess for the miliput for the metal bands I would make thinner next time. I used the standard square carbide cutter to make these and they seem a little wide.

Pat I am sorry it took so long to answer your question. There are 18 staves so the angle I ripped them at was 10 degrees. They were straight not curved. They were around 1” thick and next time I will go at least 1.5” so I can get more curve on the outside. The barrel is 7.5” in diameter and 11” tall. I glued it all together and had two open ends. In order to turn it I cut one end square on my bandsaw and then glued a board on it to attach a faceplate. It seemed very sturdy but put a steady rest on it to get rid of vibration. The recess for the miliput for the metal bands I would make thinner next time. I used the standard square carbide cutter to make these and they seem a little wide.
Rusty,
No problem in the time. It's a roundtoit and hopefully I won't be loosing her any time soon ;) BTW I really like the calabash you are making. Is it from a laminated blank or segmented pieces?

Thanks
Pat

The bands for your barrel could be made from any flat stock like backed veneer or even sheet metal. The bands on the lamp shades are made from phenolic backed walnut veneer. To calculate the arcs needed to lay out the band Google "Frustum (Truncated Cone) Calculator". When I made the bands for the lamp shades I entered dT of 4.44" , dB of 4.67" and h .487" ( to determine the h dimension I formed a right triangle with the base being 1/2 the difference between dT & dB or 0.115, and angled side being the desired 0.5" then solve for the cone height h = .487 then the calculator does the rest. To cut the veneer I bought a 1/8th" down cut router bit and with that bit in my router as a trammel point set at 10.16" + .0625 (1/16") for the outside and 10.16" - .5" & .0625" for the inside. The cone circumference c and the angle A designate the length of the band so if you want to overlap the ends just extend your cut. I spliced the ends using a scarf joint so it is difficult to even see the joint but you can feel a slight bump.
20060Lamp.JPG

Rusty,
No problem in the time. It's a roundtoit and hopefully I won't be loosing her any time soon ;) BTW I really like the calabash you are making. Is it from a laminated blank or segmented pieces?

Thanks
Pat
Thanks. I buy a lot of wood from a local sawmill. I bought a piece of walnut that was 2.5” thick and around 10” wide by 6’ long. I cut a piece of it in half on my bandsaw and glued a piece of 1.5” maple in the middle.

Back