• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

NEW PARTS FOR LATHE

Well I finally got some time to collect material to rebuild and alter my lathe so that I can get back to doing ornamental rose engine stuff.
I bought some 10mm and 15mm oil impregnated industrial nylon sheets. i have use this stuff to make chucks and a cross slide etc before and it holds threads etc well.
now i have to cut the slides and plates to make a cross slide but this one will have to base plates a fixed one and a sliding one as my headstock will be fixed and the cutter on the cross slide will cut the patten by moving against the rosettes under tension it is simply a reverse system to the head stock moving and with a fixed plate and a moving plate I will be able to set the cutter posistion as well .
Unfortunately I have a bit on before christmas so i dont think i will have time to do much but when I do i will try and put some photos up of the progress but my skills in transfering photos to the net are not great.
Cheers Mike

Hi Rich
I will try to put up the drawings of what the plan is they are only rough dtrawings as you can imagine that these are basic a i am building it myself and will alter things as I go to get it to work but what I am doing is very similar to whati lost in the fire a few years ago Cheers mike
Ps Need the wife to help load these.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Mike, I have instructions for putting a photo in a post here: Putting Photos in a Post

The instructions are for the previous version of the forum software and the user interface changed when we upgraded to the latest version. I haven't gotten around to updating the instructions, but I think that the instructions are still useful. Just don't expect the UI to look the same.

Hi Bill
Thanks very much for that those instructions seem easy to follow but i will still have to get my wife to transfer them from my phone to our computor and put them into the correct folder for me as this is where i get into trouble in more ways than I care to mention.
I did some work on the new adaption for the ornamental part of my lathe. I have the cross slide made and am working on the base to attach it to the lathe then i will have to work on the top sliudes etc. Unfortunately i didnt take photos but will take some soon and now that i know how to load them will put them up
once again thanks Bill and I am sure that there are other out there that will benefit from your notes
Cheers Mike

MAKING AN ATTACHMENT
I finaly got back to making the attachment for my lathe to do ornamental work.
The last mock up I did involved two slides an x and y this DIDNT work as I wanted so the mock up got the biff.
Any way after much thinking and research I came up with a simple solution that appears on paper and so far as I am building it to do what I want.
All that I had left from the original attachment that I built many years ago is the cross slide, so I am using this as a cross slide to move the cutter motor mount across the face or along the piece that I want to decorate. I got a light bulb moment when I saw the Nova attachment for ornamental work on U Tube.
This is what I am doing for my attachment.
First I made a locking down block for my lathe that fits snug between the bed and up under it . then I got a piece of plywood 12mm (1/2) thick 120 x 200 long I drilled three holes at 50mm spaces. these are so that the base (ply) can be moved across the bed to move the motor and slide out further also if I want to run the cutter along the bed I use the centre hole.
Next I bolted the cross slide to the ply on one side so that the bolt to attach it to the lathe bed is easy to get to for moving up or down the three holes or along the lathe bed. The cross slide has a block mounted on it that is 100x 100 and 50 mm thick both the cross slide and the block are made from oil impregnated nylon.
Next I have to make the cutter motor part. this will attach to the block by a pce of flat steel 20x5mm and the length to be determined by the lathe centre height. this strap will pivot from the block allowing the cutter to move in an arc or parallel if the pivot is locked The movement will be from the probe in contact with the rosettes which I have to make and then mount behind the lathe .
The rosette mechanism I am still working on but will either be rotated by a chain or belt drive.
I have taken photos this time but need my wife to down load them for me before I can post them
I will let you know when I do some more work on this which I hope will be soon
Cheers Mike

Mike, I have instructions for putting a photo in a post here: Putting Photos in a Post

The instructions are for the previous version of the forum software and the user interface changed when we upgraded to the latest version. I haven't gotten around to updating the instructions, but I think that the instructions are still useful. Just don't expect the UI to look the same.
Is there an easy way to post a picture from an iPhone?

Hi Alan
Thanks for the info on photos. I dont have AAW on my mobile phone that I use to take photos. What i do is send the photos to my other email address that is different to my phone and then get my wife to put them into a folder so that i can up load them.
I have been a bit crook lately and havent done alot in my shed . I have a few photo that i need to get her indoors to help me with then i can upload some I hope.

Back