• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

New project

I have an aluminum sauce pan that was my mother's. The wood handle gave it up a few years ago and I set the pan on the shelf in the shop. I got some wood that I want to use for a new handle, basically a series of four or five extra large beads. Question: since this will be washed on a regular basis after use, what do you recommend for a finish on the handle? I have Lowe's, HC, Ace Hardware locally. Thanks for you help, as always.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
I like min wax wipe on poly for that purpose.

John,

I'm not an expert on wood here, but have you considered a water resistant wood like Ipe or Teak? I've never worked with either so don't know, but they do resist water quite well.

Mark

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I like Marks idea of using woods suitable to getting wet.
Look at woods common in the boating industry for use around water on a daily basis.

The film finishes like wipe on poly or epoxies will make a water barrier that keeps water out unless they get compromised.

White oak. Purple Heart and Teak are common boat woods that don't need much protection.
IPE Mark mentioned is a great outdoor wood too.
Al

Last edited:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I like what Mark and Al suggest. Water always manages to find a way around or through a film finish so I can imagine that it would be more effective at trapping water in the wood than keeping it out. I have some Ipe 2X4 pieces that were cut-offs from a deck. It is a dense heavy oily wood that ought to work well as a handle. If you can find a company that installs decks in your area, you might be able to get some scraps in trade for a turning.

Thanks to all. The original handle was painted. The end next to the pan rotted. I'll check with our local Woodcraft store to see what they have in the recommended woods.

Teak turns nicely. I've made a few ice cream scoops that I finished with oil that seem to be holding up well.

On small projects that need waterproofing I finish with CA glue. I've used this finish on wine glass stems and kitchen tool handles. Don't know what will happen with heat, but if the handle doesn't get too hot it shouldn't be a problem.

You might also look at Lignum Vitae. It was used as bearings for propeller shafts in large ships as late as WWII. I have a pen I carry made from Lignum without a finish. Just sanded to 600. It has held up well for about a year, including a trip through the washer.:eek: And Woodcraft usually has several sizes to choose from.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
John
If you have any lumber yards nearby that cater to the boat building industry they are likely to have Purple Heart cut offs cheap.

Purple Heart is also used around here for the beds of flatbed trailers. So you might find a ready sourcethat is basically a piece of scrap from a trucking company or such.

hockenberry, boats around here are made from fiberglass or aluminum trees. Wood boats are scarce. The ones I do see are made out of state. There is a lumber yard south of here near the GA border. Will call them. Thanks to all, again.

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
John, you said you already had the wood… consider that the original wood handle lasted how long? And, it was likely a maple, birch, beech, etc. type of wood.

If you are open to changing your wood selection, I was thinking of N. American woods used in watery environments:
white oak is traditional for wine making and old ships;
cypress was often used for water wheels (and it grows standing in water);
osage orange for fence posts;
the walnut family heartwood has very good decay resistance when logs have sunk to the bottom of rivers.

That said, I have a number of wood cooking utensils from Big Leaf Maple, Black Walnut, Elm, and Cherry; they all go through the dishwasher :)eek:) and have for many years now. Not a one has cracked or shown any adverse effects.

I think just about anything would work for your pan handle with just a little conscientious care - and I’d leave off a film finish. The old mid-century red painted wood handles all seemed to show finish cracking and crazing.

Thanks, Owen. The old handle seemed to be actually stained black or the pain soaked in as it is worn off in some places. Got an offer of an unusual wood from a forum member that I'm going to try.

Back