• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

New Vari Grind jig

Treated myself to an early birthday present. Had a birthday card from Woodcraft for 10% off. Bought some pen kits for some Christmas orders already. I have the Wolverine jig already. I saw the original Vari Grind Jig and put it in my basket. Now to continue on another thread, what is the best way to use it for a bowl gouge and spindle gouge? Also, I have a roughing gouge that I have ground with a slight radius like a bowl gouge, using the platform. I know this is a two prong question but I appreciate your patience and your time to answer.

John, thanks for the refresher course. I have your set of videos saved as Bookmarks. I noticed that you only used the Vari Grind for one tool. Did I make a wrong investment? Will be using the lathe a lot now as I have, so far, five pens for Christmas presents. Will be getting some more as one couple decides what they want. Obviously, sharp tools make the job easier. Will review your videos again as I will use the lathe and tools more now. Has some health issues this summer and I haven't been working in the shop for about two months now.

John T, did you get a "Wolverine Sharpening System DVD" with the Wolverine Jig you already had? If so, it does include a chapter on the Vari Grind.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
The reason I prefer the original Wolverine is I like to move around the stone to even out the wear of the stone. The Wolverine 2 was developed because new turners kept sliding off the stone and damaging either the tool or the stone. On the new CBN wheels wear isn't much of a problem if at all. As long as your careful the original Wolverine jig is just as good. I don't own one of the jigs for the Tormek but assume you can move it across the wheel as well. Of course a slow speed wheel is less dangerous if you do run off the edge and their wheels are wider. Other jigs that are similar to the Wolverine concept work more like the original.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
The reason I prefer the original Wolverine is I like to move around the stone to even out the wear of the stone. The Wolverine 2 was developed because new turners kept sliding off the stone and damaging either the tool or the stone.....

It's too early, @john lucas. You need a coff of cuppee. You mean original Vari-Grind jig. There's only one version of the Wolverine fixture.

The Tormek stone is approximately 2" wide (actually 1.9685" which is exactly 50 mm), but still I have on one or two occasions allowed the tool to slip off the side. Of course, since it is turning at a very slow 90 RPM, it's no big deal. For some tools where I want a flat bevel I use the side of the stone. You can't do that with a dry grinder.

Bill, my mistake...and so early in the month! Will go back and look for the DVD and review the ones posted here. If that doesn't work, I'll ask SWMBO; she'll know.;)
Classified ad- For sale, one set of encyclopedias. Don't need, wife knows everything.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Bill, my mistake...and so early in the month! Will go back and look for the DVD and review the ones posted here. If that doesn't work, I'll ask SWMBO; she'll know.;)
Classified ad- For sale, one set of encyclopedias. Don't need, wife knows everything.

I was replying to John Lucas, but what are you feeling guilty about? :D :D

When I bought my Wolverine it was so long ago that DVD's hadn't been invented yet. It was before VHS tapes even. I think that parchment paper on a scroll was the new thing.

John, thanks for the refresher course. I have your set of videos saved as Bookmarks. I noticed that you only used the Vari Grind for one tool. Did I make a wrong investment? Will be using the lathe a lot now as I have, so far, five pens for Christmas presents. Will be getting some more as one couple decides what they want. Obviously, sharp tools make the job easier. Will review your videos again as I will use the lathe and tools more now. Has some health issues this summer and I haven't been working in the shop for about two months now.
John, you made the right decision. Several newbies I know have ordered the Varigrind II and I suggested they return for the original. Thousands are in use and as this thread exemplifies, assistance is readily avaialble. The spindle Roughing Gouge only requires the Wolverine. One caution is that the tool face be positioned high enough on the wheel that it Cannot possibly be jammed into the stone.

Dang, Bill...that's two! I'll have to be careful for the rest of the month. Feeling guilty? I'll never tell!
Mike, thanks. Will watch the tool position.

John T.,
Having been a few years ago where you are now, I have a few thoughts.
  • First, understanding the geometry, and what changes when you change this or that aspect of the jig, is worse than double entry bookkeeping. You can change the length of protrusion, the angle of the leg, the amount you roll over when you grind, and the length the pocket on the Wolverine arm sticks out from the wheel, but one change in the set up doesn't change just one thing to the grind produced.
  • Second, there is not agreement on how to use the adjustments available on the varigrind among those who use it. Different protrusions are recommended by different experts. Some folks change the angle of the leg for different tools, and some of us recommend keeping it fixed.
  • Third, it's really easy to press too hard on the grinding wheel when you use the jig. You can take 10 bucks of steel off really fast. You just let the gouge rest against the wheel, and keep it moving. Grinding with the jig also works best if you move yourself along with the jig, just like you move yourself along with the gouge when you're turning on the lathe.
My strong recommendation is to pick one sharpening method and stick with it until you're comfortable with your sharpening. Then you can explore alternatives with the confidence you've developed. Kirk DeHeer's method works fine, but for myself I decided to follow Doug Thompson's recommendations. Just don't try to follow the Oneway DVD instructions--it's super hard to understand.

Hi, Dean! Thanks. I haven't found the DVD and can't remember if I even had one. I went to the Oneway site but the quality of the video was very poor. I clicked on Thompson's link from Bill Boehme and found a couple of others for the Vari Grind. Have several pens for Christmas presents that I'm starting in a couple of days. I'll get lots of sharpening practice.

Something like that but I can't remember.:confused:
Anyway, a lot of info to absorb.....hopefully.

Back