• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Nick Jonkman

Hi folks. I am about to turn 82 in May. I was an auto mechanic for a good portion of my life, been a body man, a machinist, woodworker, and dabbled pretty well in every trade. Back in the 60s I built my first machine, a wood lathe. I didn't do much with it at first as I was busy establishing my garage. around 1980 we got shut down by sewer construction for a whole year which just about done us in. I started peddling tools which turned out pretty good and ended up closing the shop turning it into a store for mainly woodworking supplies and some metalworking. Then some customers started talking about wanting to learn woodturning which would encourage them to buy the equipment to do so. So the old machine I built got put into service and I gave lessons two nights a week to about 4 people at a time. I sold the place around 2010 and built a new 40 x 48 ft. shop with a hoist, machine shop, and spray booth beside the house. My wood shop is in the basement. Many years ago, I bought an old Delta lathe from the school board that had been robbed of parts. So as I retired when I sold the store I started making the parts I needed for that lathe and put a 2hp motor on it with a VFD. I then got into some serious turning, starting with an inside-out vase, then onto a segmented bowl and the last challenge was an open-segment bowl. I made jigs as I saw the ideas on YouTube.
I love designing and building my machinery and built some for others as well Attached are some of the pictures. The thickness sander is shown before it got its cabinet around it.

P1050991-2.jpgWWP1060371-2.jpg

P1050992-2.jpgWWP1050994-2.jpg

I mentioned in my introduction that I built my first machine, a wood lathe back in the 1960s I used a Beaver Rockwell spiindle in the head stock and found a broken Beaver tail stock which I repaired. This way I could buy Beaver accessories off the shelf to fit. It never got painted or anything fancy. It is built with channel, bed angle, flat bar & plate and boiler tubing for the stand. That bracket on the head stock allowed me to use tool rests behind the bowl or what ever. It is still standing in my new shop looking for a new home. Ididn't have a metal lathe or mill back in those days so everything had to be done by hand. You can see some Beaver ac. in the plastic tray.

Attachments

• P1060830.JPG
    P1060830.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 13
  • accs2.JPG
    accs2.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 13
  • accs.JPG
    accs.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Back