• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Nova G3 Fiber Washer (red dots)

Hi everyone,

I haven’t seen a post on this for quite a while. Does anyone know where to source some replacement fiber washers (the little red dots) for the grub screw on a Nova G3 chuck? Teknatool seems to be out of stock. Surely some company makes a replacement for these things.

I’m not sure of another source for the specific washers, but one idea would be to use a piece of the pads that are used for the legs of tables and chairs to protect floors. Punch out or otherwise cut a piece for the appropriate diameter and there you go. Another option would be the non slip drawer or shelving liner material. Hope this helps.

I’m not sure a rubber pad would do the job. This made me look for fiber gasket material which I can find. I’ll get some and see if I can use a leather punch to create some dots.

I make my own. I bought a leather punch (on Amazon), and a bag of leather scraps from Hobby Lobby. Perfect size and I can make as many as I want.

I made mine out of gasket material from the auto store and they seem to work fine. The original ones are not quite as thick as leather, even split leather, though it might work just fine.

There is another option. After losing the one that came with my nova chuck, and making some out of leather and gasket material and continuing to lose those (I switch chucks out often), I just ground down the end of the set screw to remove the cup.

The red dot is there to prevent the hardened cup on the end of the set screw from indenting into the soft spindle steel. Remove the cup, leave the end just slightly convex, and do away with the need for the red dot.

I think I like the idea of rounding over the end of a replacement screw. I’ll keep the original and the red washer just in case and buying a slightly longer screw and rounding it down to a similar size.

Back