• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Nova lathe question

I am considering a Nova lathe (one of a couple models), but I haven't been able to determine if they have a bore through the headstock spindle. If not, how do you get a stuck drive spur out of the spindle, since a knockout bar won't be useful?

As far as I’m aware, they all have bored through headstock spindles. Can’t imagine a modern lathe without this.
I have an aging nova 2024 lathe, that other than being severely underweight, has been quite enjoyable to own and use.

Thanks all. I was sure I read that the headstock of one model didn't have a throughhole, or at least, I thought that because the description said it could not be hooked up to a vacuum chuck. Every vacuum chuck I've seen sucks through that hole.

FWIW, Vicmarc makes vacuum adapters that go between the inboard spindle and the vacuum chuck. They can also be mounted in a 4 jaw chuck and then the vacuum chuck attaches to the adapter.

Website
originalrevolutions.com
I have one of the Galaxy DVR 16/44 and that is all you have to do with it is change the plug and plug it in to 220 rather than 110. At startup the software identifies the current it's connected too.

I have one of the Galaxy DVR 16/44 and that is all you have to do with it is change the plug and plug it in to 220 rather than 110. At startup the software identifies the current it's connected too.
That's darned smart. I ordered a Rikon 70-1824 in 110v. In Rikon's case, it's two different configurations.

It's important to make sure the plug and outlet design you choose are rated for the amperage you're going to draw. NEMA actually has multiple configurations for 240V plugs depending on amps.

Back