• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Nova Orion

I really don’t know, what to recommend, I am trying to be considerate in these struggling times, but I am very disappointed with Teknatool, this has been going on for many months I will follow this thread and listen to others for suggestions and assistance. I had very good luck with the old Nova Comet, but I cannot say that about the Orion or the unsatisfactory service from Teknatool. Our legal advisor suggested that I contact the Better Business Bureau, so I am starting that process.
Wishing you good health and good luck.

If discussion is pivoting to alternative recommendations, not sure who would read this discussion and in their right mind buy a nova lathe. Two years ago I was down to the galaxi / orion / jet 1640 and I’m pretty sure I dodged a bullet getting the 1640.

In this size/class lathe comparison when it comes to the 1640 I think the appropriate saying is “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
If discussion is pivoting to alternative recommendations, not sure who would read this discussion and in their right mind buy a nova lathe. Two years ago I was down to the galaxi / orion / jet 1640 and I’m pretty sure I dodged a bullet getting the 1640.

In this size/class lathe comparison when it comes to the 1640 I think the appropriate saying is “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”
I like the jet 1640 a lot.

Our club has a 16” nova DVR - old blister button controls - hate them.
Other than the controls the lathe performs extremely well.
Plenty of power and little vibration.

Thank you! I have looked into the record power Regent, it looks as if the slowest spindle speed is 250 rpm. Seems a little fast?? I think. I find it strange that the Orion does not have an outrigger. The Orion seemed to tic all of my boxes but the more I learn, perhaps it doesn't?

Well, I would, although my Galaxi is problem free so I’m not expecting to need to replace it. IMO Jet made a mistake when pivot HS were removed from 16 & 18” lathes a few years ago, so I removed them from consideration.

The alternate discussion is as much predicated on availability as product quality/customer support. Quite a few satisfied Nova owners have commented positively. Over the years I’ve read similar complaint stories for most mfrs. They come and they go.

Thank you! I have looked into the record power Regent, it looks as if the slowest spindle speed is 250 rpm. Seems a little fast?? I think. I find it strange that the Orion does not have an outrigger. The Orion seemed to tic all of my boxes but the more I learn, perhaps it doesn't?
250 rpm is a bit fast for start up with a rough blank you know is out of balance. Some diligence to balance it would be needed, particularly since the lathe is a bit light at 309#. Its a bit fast for power sanding for me as well. My lathe goes down to 100 rpm and many times I’m wishing for about 25 rpm - I shut the lathe off and move the piece by hand when needed.

Not sure why an outrigger has not been developed for the Orion. The Galaxi uses the same outrigger that was developed for the earlier Nova lathes. I dont know Nova’s reasoning for the Orion design to not work with those same parts. IMO any lathe used for turning outboard needs the tool rest support structure bolted to the lathe bed so the tool rest moves in unison with the spindle. It makes it much easier to get a piece balanced out. Once balanced it doesnt really matter, but sometimes a piece never gets completely smooth.

While I have made a few pieces larger than ~15” (swing limit on the Galaxi) using the outrigger, most all my stuff is 14” and smaller - not much demand for bigger dia, but the Galaxi can do up to 29” outboard. The extra 2” swing of the Orion is not a benefit to me, and without an outrigger available for it, I would choose the Galaxi again.

Well, I would, although my Galaxi is problem free so I’m not expecting to need to replace it. IMO Jet made a mistake when pivot HS were removed from 16 & 18” lathes a few years ago, so I removed them from consideration.

The alternate discussion is as much predicated on availability as product quality/customer support. Quite a few satisfied Nova owners have commented positively. Over the years I’ve read similar complaint stories for most mfrs. They come and they go.

I recently received a call from Teknatool Manager. He was apologetic, courteous and very professional explaining in detail the manufacturing issues/replacing parts for the Orion. And he is actively seeking to resolve my ongoing issues. I have several Nova chucks that have worked effectively for years, and my original lathe was a Nova Comet, it was a great lathe, no problems. This gentleman assured me that they are committed to customer service, and that is all any of us want. I do find the ability to rotate headstock is helpful feature. I will keep posting.

@Joseph Krauskopf can you elaborate more on why you did not like the outrigger fit/etc on your Orion lathe? Im just curious. It took me a while to learn how best to orient the HS and move a tool rest around with the outrigger. I suspect the “banjo” is 1” higher than it should be since it was designed for the 20” swing of the 20-24 lathe.

Back