• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

November Turning Challenge: turn a snow person(s)!

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Christmas is rapidly approaching and every woodturner needs snowpeople (snowmen, snow beings) to decorate their fireplace mantle and/or coffee table. You can make one snow person or a whole family and it (they) can be any size as long as you are able to turn it (them) on your lathe. Hats are mandatory for any properly attired snow person. You may add any other embellishments (scarves, etc) to dress up your snow person(s).

A few rules:
  • Your entry must be turned in THIS MONTH (no elderly snow people from Christmas past).
  • Only one entry per person and ONLY ONE PHOTO of the entry. This is a turning contest, not an old photo contest, LOL. So make sure your work is something you turned for the challenge.
  • Turnings submitted for the November challenge must be started no earlier than November 2, 2021.
  • Entries must be posted in this thread.
  • The deadline for posting entries is midnight Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) on Tuesday, November 23, 2021.
  • Voting will take place from November 24 through midnight UTC November 30.
  • The winner might have to pass a lie detector test before collecting the prizes. :rolleyes: Good luck, have fun, make shavings!! :)
When voting begins you are allowed one vote and once you have voted you won't be able to go back and change your vote. After you have voted you will be able to track the vote totals. The voting is secret (just like a real election) so nobody other than you can see who you voted for (not even the moderators/administrators). The voting will end at midnight UTC on November 30, 2021. In case of a tie vote, the forum moderators will gather in a virtual smoke-filled room to sort out the winner.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
OK here's mine - Inside Out snowman Ambrosia Maple, Padauk, and Lilac, finished in milk paint, nail polish and lacquer top coat.
Went for a sort of sailor's gob cap style instead of top hat, chose milk paint for the texturing effect

This is only my second *ever* inside out turning attempt :) (gotta challenge myself!)

AAW_nov-Entry.jpg

ok, I am cheating but these are ones I did a couple of years ago and they were very popular with the ladies... But your challenge reminded me to turn a bunch for this years Christmas. more to come.

20191218_160154.jpg

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
ok, I am cheating but these are ones I did a couple of years ago and they were very popular with the ladies... But your challenge reminded me to turn a bunch for this years Christmas. more to come.

View attachment 41146

You still have nine days. I'm planning on turning a snowman, but first I need to finish a job for the procrastinator's club. They said that I need to pick up the pace. :rolleyes:

Christmas is rapidly approaching and every woodturner needs snowpeople (snowmen, snow beings) to decorate their fireplace mantle and/or coffee table. You can make one snow person or a whole family and it (they) can be any size as long as you are able to turn it (them) on your lathe. Hats are mandatory for any properly attired snow person. You may add any other embellishments (scarves, etc) to dress up your snow person(s).

A few rules:
  • Your entry must be turned in THIS MONTH (no elderly snow people from Christmas past).
  • Only one entry per person and ONLY ONE PHOTO of the entry. This is a turning contest, not an old photo contest, LOL. So make sure your work is something you turned for the challenge.
  • Turnings submitted for the November challenge must be started no earlier than November 2, 2021.
  • Entries must be posted in this thread.
  • The deadline for posting entries is midnight Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) on Tuesday, November 23, 2021.
  • Voting will take place from November 24 through midnight UTC November 30.
  • The winner might have to pass a lie detector test before collecting the prizes. :rolleyes: Good luck, have fun, make shavings!! :)
When voting begins you are allowed one vote and once you have voted you won't be able to go back and change your vote. After you have voted you will be able to track the vote totals. The voting is secret (just like a real election) so nobody other than you can see who you voted for (not even the moderators/administrators). The voting will end at midnight UTC on November 30, 2021. In case of a tie vote, the forum moderators will gather in a virtual smoke-filled room to sort out the winner.
Hi Bill, attached is my submission.
The Snow Family: Mr. and Mrs. Snow, daughter Annabelle and Junior!

20211115_212221.jpg

This is my hard maple snow person family with an in-law. Mr. Snow with a walnut hat, Ms. Snow with Bubinga bonnet, little snow with Padauk toboggan. and Ms. Snow’s sister with a dyed maple toboggan. All features and hat bands are inlaid Apoxie Sculp dyed with either Transtint or Chestnut stain. Nose is dyed orange with Transtint mixed dye.

EBC8DE5D-98A6-4671-BDEE-6C790DAF5A6D_1_201_a.jpeg

Back