• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Odd-Not REVERSE VACUUM CHUCKING - Out of Business?

We should give the guy a break. I suspect he is a one-man operation that has developed a terrific product and maybe underestimated demand.

We should give the guy a break. I suspect he is a one-man operation that has developed a terrific product and maybe underestimated demand.
I agree. I bought his large at the time aluminum vacuum Chuck and it is by far the best I have used. I talked to him for a while at the Kentucky symposium and he is a nice guy. He is a small operation and my guess is he is having trouble keeping up with the demand.

I spent a lot of time talking with Douglas before I purchased the aluminum chucks. I think that he would say that the difference is the "angel wings" that are used in the Odd-Not vacuum chucks. I have a single 5 inch Oneway vacuum chuck and whether I am using the Oneway stick on pads or a Rubber Chucky ring I have had a problem losing vacuum and his pitch is that the angel wing helps maintain the seal. At one point he mentioned that he gets regular requests to produce angel wings for Oneway vacuum chucks. Here is the description from the website. https://www.odd-not.com/shop/p/angel-wing-seals

"Put a Angel Wing Seal on the shoulder of your vacuum cup and receive forgiveness that you’ve never seen in any-other vacuum chuck system. Forgives equals resilience. The other systems all share one similarity, despite how different from one another they look. What they all share in common is if there is any separation / a gap formed between your bowl and the cup the vacuum is lost and so is the hold on your bowl. That gap can come from a sudden catch that the other systems never recover from. Angel Wing Seals allow .50” (1/2”) or more gapping between bowl and cup before completely letting go. In plain English: if you pull hard enough you will overcome the force of the vacuum pressure but if the pulling force is released the bowl / vacuum holding will recover pulling the bowl back to the cup. The bowl will likely not be back on center but your bowl will not be on the floor in pieces. All is not lost. Release the vacuum, re-center the bowl on the chuck and turn the vacuum back on so you can continue to finish your work."
Thank you for the explanation William. If they work for others and they're happy then who am I to argue...we all have our methods.

Back