• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

OMG! I recieved my Resource Book

For thoes of you looking for the AAW Resource Book, keep an eye on your mail. I recieved mine today.

GA. Darling

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Got mine too....Larger format seems OK....

GA Darling said:
For thoes of you looking for the AAW Resource Book, keep an eye on your mail. I recieved mine today.

GA. Darling

Me too, in today's mail - (in central Iowa...)

Looks good, although they left out my web site url, despite confirming it twice with them at renewal time - oh well, next year....

See you in Portland,

Rob

ditto

i also received mine, the dvd 2006 National Symposium Snapshots was included WOW! :D

Sky

Haven't got mine yet, could one of you send me yours since you will be at the symposium and won't need it? :D

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
The symposium DVD is stuck between the pages of the resource directory up near the front and in a paper sleeve. If you do not see it, you may have dropped it out or left it in the envelope (hope that you still have it). If you want the sharpening CD or videotape, you will have to buy a copy unless your club library has one.

Bill

R

Ron Sardo

Steve Worcester said:
The sharpening CD was in last years resource giude. This years has a symposium DVD.

I go mine yesterday (N TX)

Correct me if I'm wrong

Wasn't the Sharpening cd/dvd a give away if you signed up or renewed before the end of last year?

Bill Grumbine

In Memorium
Website
www.wonderfulwood.com
I haven't seen mine yet, but if it comes the way the journal comes, there is a 50% chance it won't come at all. I don't blame the AAW for that, since I have trouble with just about any kind of magazine. If it does come, it is always late, at least compared to just about anyone else on the planet.

Bill

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Ron Sardo said:
Correct me if I'm wrong

Wasn't the Sharpening cd/dvd a give away if you signed up or renewed before the end of last year?
I have no idea, you may want to call the AAW office on that one.

Got my directory and dvd 2 days ago, which is amazing since we have such POOR mail delivery service. I want to commend the Association for inserting the DVD on last years sympossium. It was great. Just not long enough. When it was finished, I still wanted more! :D I hope they do the same this year.

Bill

Looking forward to getting mine, always kind of a crap shoot on when stuff like that comes but I have faith it will get here. DVD of the symposium sounds interesting, since I was there it will be interesting to see it from a different perspective. Since I can't attend this year due to an injury I hope they do it again. Looking forward to Richmond in '08.

Glad to hear that you all have gotten yours. Mine will be a few months more. Just the way they deliver them this side of the nations capital.

Bill Grumbine

In Memorium
Website
www.wonderfulwood.com
Mine just came a few minutes ago. If I had known posting a gripe would have gotten it here sooner, I would have done so months ago! ;) I guess the plain brown wrapper fooled the mailman.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Ron Sardo said:
Correct me if I'm wrong

If you joined during the year, last year then you received the CD as part of your 2006 membership. For those who do not know, when you join sometime during the year, your membership become effective retroactively to the beginning of that year and you receive all of the "stuff" as if you had joined at the beginning (journal, resource directory, etc.) of the year. If you renewed for 2007 before January 1, 2007 or joined near the end of the year and stated that you wanted the memberhip to be effective on Janyary 1, 2007 then you receive whatever the "perks" are for 2007 -- in this case the symposium DVD.

Bill

Website
www.torne-lignum.com
Guess I'm going to be the odd guy here, I like the old format for the Resource guide better only because I use it a LOT and it was easier to carry with me. This new one, albeit impressive, is more like a phone book or magazine and I fear I will be leaving it home more often than not. The print is bigger, but for those of us who need bigger print already wear glasses (or should!).

Gotta agree

Ruth Niles said:
Guess I'm going to be the odd guy here, I like the old format for the Resource guide better only because I use it a LOT and it was easier to carry with me. This new one, albeit impressive, is more like a phone book or magazine and I fear I will be leaving it home more often than not. The print is bigger, but for those of us who need bigger print already wear glasses (or should!).

I did not want to be the first to say it but I don't like the new format either. The old one was about like carrying a paperback book and is well traveled with me so I can find my woodturning friends when traveling. I don't see this new larger thinner resource book being near as usable for me!
:mad:

I got mine today - and I like the format... :p

The DVD looks great, but I don't get any sound! :confused:

Anyone have a clue on why the DVD won't talk to me?

It finally got here today. I like the new design. There was nothing wrong with the last one, but changing things is how you justify spending more money! My complaint is with the Postalperson who jammed it into my tiny apartment mailbox rather than putting it in the parcel delivery box. :cool2:

Directory

Got mine (drool!!!) Hey, Sky...I wood B happy to send ya my last year's copy, if it will make ya feel better (you pay shipping)...aw well, ya can't please everybody..... :cool2: :cool2:

Got mine yesterday. The old guides (small format) made traveling/packing easier, but the new one (large format) allows one to delay getting stronger glasses!

format

i really like the format, i am a fairly new member, i reconize some peoples names (mostly the ones that make tools) but am acturlly pretty ignorant as to who built and guieded the aaw to what is today, that said...

the editors and directors page with pictures very helpful

the honorary lifetime members with pictures and bio

lathe safety guidelines

plus much more information

R

Ron Sardo

elderbarryl said:
It finally got here today. I like the new design. There was nothing wrong with the last one, but changing things is how you justify spending more money! My complaint is with the Postalperson who jammed it into my tiny apartment mailbox rather than putting it in the parcel delivery box. :cool2:

In most cases, the newer format should cost less than the older format.

$$$$$$

Ya, well...the new format on the directory is better by far!!! So then the "powers that be" see fit to raise our dues five bucks a year, to offset the reduced printing costs....go figure... GAWD, I feel better now!!!! :confused: :confused: :confused:

R

Ron Sardo

Mr. Don said:
Ya, well...the new format on the directory is better by far!!! So then the "powers that be" see fit to raise our dues five bucks a year, to offset the reduced printing costs....go figure... GAWD, I feel better now!!!! :confused: :confused: :confused:

It doesn't work that way.

This year's paper prices are higher than last year's paper prices. Don't forget postage went up. There is also new postal regulations that go in effect in August that may cause second class (magazines) mailing cost to increase again.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Shameful commercial

Have we got a deal for you. (excuse the commercial)
If you want more there are 3 videos available for sale
Buy them for yourself then donate them to your club library

There are a few minutes of preview. go to

http://www.woodturner.org/products/videos/
and scroll down to

2006 Louisville, Kentucky - click here to purchase your copies

Three great videos are coming your way from this world-record attendance annual Symposium.

* (A) 2006 AAW Symposium Instant Gallery Video - Click here for a 3 minute preview (15mb WMV).
o Instant Gallery & Critique
o "Step Up to the Plate" Exhibit
o Kentucky Woodturners Exhibt
o "Turning Twenty" AAW Exhibit
o Rude Osolnik Exhibit
o 2006 AAW Chapter Challenge

* (B) 2006 AAW Symposium Techniques Volume One - Click here for a 3 minute preview (10mb WMV)
o Mike Mahoney - Utility Items
o J. Paul Fennell - Hollow Forms
o Morton Kasden - Shop Safety
o Christophe Nancey - Vace with Pewter Inlay
o Hans & Jacques Show - Collaboration

# (C) 2006 AAW Symposium Techniques Volume Two - Click here for a 3 minute preview (10mb WMV)

* Giles Gilson - Design Workshop
* Mike Darow - Spindle Turning
* Clay Foster - Adaptations
* Hans Weissflog - Box with Pierced Lid
* Betty Scarpino - Color and Texture

happy turning,
Al

Last edited:
Back