• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Oneway 1640?

Hi,
This is my first post. I have enjoyed turning for close to 30 years. Being a high school shop teacher I've always had a couple old rockwell lathes to use in my school shop. They are fair lathes. I am building a shop behind my house and want to put the best lathe and bandsaw in it that I can afford. I have got into selling turkey calls and crow calls that I turn and hope to get into selling a few bowls in the future. Being able to set up a chuck on the inboard and outboard side of the 1640 will make it like having two lathes when making turkey calls. I use different jaws for the steps in making them. With the 1640 can I have a chuck set up on both inboard and outboard end of the headstock at the same time? All I would have to do is reverse the motor when I use the outboard side? I don't need a tail stock for making turkey calls.
Thanks,
Jack

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
You can indeed have a chuck mounted inboard and outboard at the same time on the Oneway 1640. Just be sure the chuck has a set screw to lock it in place so it won't unscrew when going backwards. The 1640 is a real nice machine an a pleasure to turn on.

However you can have the same inboard/outboard setup on an number of other lathes too. And if it has reverse you can run it in reverse.

For example my wife has a General 260 with and inboard and outboard. She can use the outboard with the lthe in reverse. We also have a big Oneway.

happy turning,
Al

Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Jack While your looking at Oneway check out the new Versa mount quick release mounting system. It lets you change chucks and faceplates very quickly.

Jack,

I'd sure like to see your turkey calls. Please post more information and photos when you have the time.

flyrod444 said:
All I would have to do is reverse the motor when I use the outboard side?

Sometimes when I'm turning outboard, I don't even use the reverse and just stand on the "regular" side of the lathe. I am also a satisfied 1640 owner.

Back