• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Ornamental Turning Forum

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
Ornamental turning is a bit of a niche, but is certainly a part of the overall woodturning community. It is typically done on a rose engine lathe, but as David Springett showed in his book, "Woodturning Wizardry", great pieces can be made without such a machine.

This forum was established to facilitate questions from those who have an interest in ornamental turning.

timing is everything. I hadn't check the forum in a few weeks and saw this and said to myself "what the heck is ornamental turning anyway. I've heard of it (and the Rose Engine) but have no idea what is is. so I opened this and ......nothing..... then saw it just launched today! will check back next week to see what's here.

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
timing is everything. I hadn't check the forum in a few weeks and saw this and said to myself "what the heck is ornamental turning anyway. I've heard of it (and the Rose Engine) but have no idea what is is. so I opened this and ......nothing..... then saw it just launched today! will check back next week to see what's here.
Dave,

The website for the ornamental turning chapter of the AAW is http://www.ornamentalturners.com/. An explanation of ornamental turning (OT) is there:

Ornamental Turning, also called Complex Turning, is executed on a lathe with attachments which convert a plain circular section to variants of outline; these range from a simple series of cuts taken at intervals around the work (so producing grooves or bumps on the surface) to non-circular movements whereby the whole of the circular shape is removed to give a completely different form.​

As it regards the Rose Engine lathe, it is a truly magical machine. It enables an artist to do some amazing things.

This link has a write up about it: https://www.otbok.info/OT - LnT-Term-RoseEngineLathe.html. There are a few videos on that page which show it in operation.

I love to watch the art emerge as the machine helps me do it.

Rich

I have a Mandala Rose Engine and have been very happy with it. I went to an OTI Symposium in Ohio years back and got a clear impression that if you didn't own a 25 to 150 thousand dollar machine you were not, how can I say it, in the mainstream.

Just noted in the Ornamental Book of Knowledge that the subject of Phasing gives the wrong issue of where it can be found. The correct magazine is Fall 2008 pages 62-63 (if you want to print that article put in pages 61-62 in the printer.

Rich,

As moderator of this group what's your opinion on CNC related postings about ornamental turning? Is it accepted or not?

When I became heavily involved in OT 15 years CNC was generally frowned upon. John Magill introduced me as coming from the dark side. The OTI forum eventually had a sub-group related to CNC'ing.

Taking OT to the extreme with traditional equipment can be way beyond the typical enthusiast's budget. The Youtube video "A trip to the wizard's workshop" shows equipment in the hundreds of thou$and$ range. I don't see anything there that couldn't be done on CNC in the under $10K range.

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
Doug,

Your question is a hard one to answer definitively. It is like so many other philosophical questions such as, "What is the definition of beauty?"

The best criteria was eloquently outlined by David Pye in his book, The Nature and Art of Workmanship:

If I must ascribe a meaning to the word craftsmanship, I shall say as a first approximation that it means simply workmanship using any kind of technique or apparatus, in which the quality of the result is not pre-determined, but depends on the judgment, dexterity, and care the maker exercises as he works. The essential idea is that the quality of the result is continually at risk during the process of making; …

What is questionable to me is the arena where a piece is completely defined in some software package, downloaded to a machine, and the person running the machine is simply hitting a button to execute the design. But, I am not completely against that, especially as that process could accommodate someone with physical disabilities, enabling them to make some truly wonderful pieces. And, I know that some of the pieces made by artists like Jean-Claude Champignon run relatively unattended for many hours (24+). It was driven by a mechanical means, but the effect is the same.

Ornamental Turning was taught to princes in the 1700s as it required them thinking thru and planning the process before beginning the cutting. It was a way for their tutors to teach strategic thinking. And we also know that the "Renaissance" artists of that age used whatever technology was available to them at the time.

As you noted, there are some in the OT community who say that the use of CNC or any other electronic means is too much. To me, this is similar to the discussion about using hand tools for making furniture. Some (especially those at Colonial Williamsburg) work only with hand tools whilst others have moved to full use of CNC machines for cutting the parts. Most are in the middle somewhere.

The AAW has done a great job growing the definition of wood turned items beyond production spindle work and bowls to something much more. This group should be no different. As the moderator, I want this group to stay focused on the artistic work which is ornamental turning. I prefer to keep the debate away from historical machinery vs. CNC.

Hope that answers your question.

Kind regards,
Rich

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
Just noted in the Ornamental Book of Knowledge that the subject of Phasing gives the wrong issue of where it can be found. The correct magazine is Fall 2008 pages 62-63 (if you want to print that article put in pages 61-62 in the printer.

Thanks for letting me know about this. It should be fixed now.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I'm a big fan of Ornamental turning. To even think to call CNC , whatever it is that you can do with it, turning or embellishing, is something that I do not think should be allowed here. My vote is a big NO. No place here amongst one of the oldest traditions in woodturning.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
The CNC Zone claims to be the world's largest CNC forum with over a half million members and it hosts at least a couple of hundred forums (I lost count) covering nearly every conceivable related topic, but ornamental turning and CNC to create art were nowhere to be found. What if some bodger showed up wanting to discuss greenwood turning for chairmaking on a springpole lathe?

"Such shapes are achieved by various means, primarily thru the used of fixed or revolving cutters being introduced to the work in radial and non-radial paths. Movement of the work and cutters individually and or separately can achieve a nearly endless variety of patterns and shapes."

From the Ornamental Turners International

In that case the shape is determined by various cams and levers arranged by a person, called a turner, to give a desired result. The tools are fixed in the machine and not held by the person.

In CNC the motion is controlled by a program written and arranged by a person. The tools are fixed in the machine and not held by the person.

I am not into either CNC or OT but prefer the hand held tool and seeing what emerges from the wood approach but as a mechanical engineer who has designed special purpose machines I see both techniques as having a place. How that place is determined is up to proponents to discuss and decide.

Stu

I'm a big fan of Ornamental turning. To even think to call CNC , whatever it is that you can do with it, turning or embellishing, is something that I do not think should be allowed here. My vote is a big NO. No place here amongst one of the oldest traditions in woodturning.
Really...? How do you feel about stepper motors controlled by Arduinos or other micro-computers? John Magill in a recent talk at an OT symposium made suggestions about steppers. Should discussion of steppers be banned? John also made a comment that OT'ers might want to consider using GT2 timing belts for better accuracy over the older MXL variety. I would say that was a little over the top since MXL's are accurate enough. Technology is creeping in.

I view the old OT lathes as the CNC of their day. That was pretty advanced stuff for its time. I bet the hand turners hated it.

Now if I was given a vote it would be to be more concerned with the artistic aspects of the work not how it was produced.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Hmm.. As I understand it a Rose engine uses a variety of gears and axis angles to create the ornamental patterns in ornamental turning, correct? I see no difference between the Rose Engine (which was basically an 1800's or earlier CNC machine, no?) and a modern CNC machine - Replace the sets of gears and angles (Which, anyone with a similar rose engine lathe and identical gear sets can duplicate the pattern anyone else may design.) with the computer programming (Set of instructions to the computer to control the cutter heads, etc - same thing the gears do, no?) of a CNC, and you can get the same results on any similar CNC setup using identical "gear sets" (code) , so I don't see how Ornamental turning is any different than CNC turning.. Both make use of fixed gears and fixed tools and angles that any relatively experienced user can duplicate pretty much exactly any other turner's creations, provided they have the set of instructions...

On the other hand, actual turning as "most of us" actually do on a traditional lathe (whether engine powered, electric powered, foot powered, etc) There are relatively few (as a percentage compared to the total population of woodturners) that would have the skill and capability to exactly duplicate someone else's work on an ordinary lathe where tools (and machine speeds, etc) have to be controlled and guided by the turner's own hands.

So I'd argue that O.T. and CNC are not much different... I can respect someone's "turned work" even if it has been considerably embellished, carved, etc. as an individual's skill as "turning" , as long as some portion of it is actually being done on a traditional lathe, Though I do kind of feel that such "artistic" turnings should never be grouped in or compared with traditional "utility / production" turnings.. It's still turning... as opposed to OT and CNC which are basically "machine setup" which the only real skill required (given a pattern or program gleaned from some source or the other) is the ability to set up the machine to produce the work.

Just my two cents that, in a nutshell, I think an OT forum would be a good place for CNC'ers as well...

Rich,

As moderator of this group what's your opinion on CNC related postings about ornamental turning? Is it accepted or not?

When I became heavily involved in OT 15 years CNC was generally frowned upon. John Magill introduced me as coming from the dark side. The OTI forum eventually had a sub-group related to CNC'ing.

Taking OT to the extreme with traditional equipment can be way beyond the typical enthusiast's budget. The Youtube video "A trip to the wizard's workshop" shows equipment in the hundreds of thou$and$ range. I don't see anything there that couldn't be done on CNC in the under $10K range.
I built my rose engine for less than $1,000.

resized rose engine.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Rose Engine and I have a couple small CNC machines. I would prefer that this group deals with OT. You can start a CNC group here if allowed, keeping them separate would be best in my opinion.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I have a Rose Engine and I have a couple small CNC machines. I would prefer that this group deals with OT. You can start a CNC group here if allowed, keeping them separate would be best in my opinion.
I'm with you Bill. Those that would like to change things, my advice would be to get involved. Join the OTI, tell them you have a CNC and are trying to change the way the world looks at it. Make your case to the OTI members.

I'm with you Bill. Those that would like to change things, my advice would be to get involved. Join the OTI, tell them you have a CNC and are trying to change the way the world looks at it. Make your case to the OTI members.
OTI already welcomes CNC discussions on their forum. I don't fully understand the relationship between OTI and OT/AAW. When I attended the OT symposium in the Seattle area 15 years ago we were required to join the AAW.

Anyway, the discussion here is about this forum not OTI.

There seem to be various reasons to object to CNC. Emiliano mentions OT's century old tradition. Is tradition really a valid objection? Does anybody seriously think today's OT turning is tradition-wise that of hundreds of years ago?

Another fear of CNC is its ability to produce multiples of an item with a simple push of a button, which is far from the way it usually works. But, what if it did allow multiples, is that so bad? Watching a slideshow by Albert LeCoff on the "gods" of woodturning one them found it difficult to support himself as a full time woodturner. As a filler between the infrequent high dollar sales that turner was described as making enough copies of one of his signature pieces to fill several football stadiums. That's a reality check on living as an artist. It looks like a good many turning "artists" fill that income gap by teaching.

Last edited:
I have a Rose Engine and that is a lathe by any other name. I have CNC's they are not lathes. The name of this site AAW Forum and to me that means American Association of Woodturners. If I want to learn about CNC's I would not come here as this site is about turned objects and yes some people use other means to add to the turnings. All in all it is turning and I myself do not put my CNC's in that venue.

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
Once an OT is set up could it also produce multitude copies? Just load the wood and push the button.

Stu
Stu,

My MDF Rose Engine Lathe uses stepper motors to drive various activities, but it is in no way repeatable.

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
Does that mean you control the motors manually? If that is so then if a program was written to remember your input that you would have a CNC lathe.

Stu
Stu,

I think the idea of “CNC” as the delineation between an operator vs an artist is hard to sustain. There are two phenomenal artists who use what they call “computer assist” to achieve their works. And both are noted by the AAW. Dewey was just recognized for his work at the last AAW Conference.

The control system for the stepper motors on my MDF Rose Engine Lathe does not follow a programmed path any more than a totally mechanical system does. So, I can synchronize the Z or X axis movement with the spindle (for example). I just use an electrical synchronization instead of a shaft with U joints.

I don’t have the ability to design something in Fusion 360, slice that up to create G-code, and then execute the G-code on my rose engine lathe (as I do on my 3d printer). But, I do make a number of prototypes before finalizing my design and also the approach I will use to achieve that.

So, if I document the
  1. rosettes used,
  2. rosette rubbers used,
  3. ratio of the spindle speed vs the rosette speed,
  4. cutter used,
  5. angle for the cutting frame,
  6. diameter of the cutter at the edge,
  7. speed of the cutter,
  8. direction of cut,
  9. amplitude adjuster setting,
  10. template used on the curvilinear slide,
  11. starting point on that template,
  12. degrees of spindle rotation vs the axial movement distance, and
  13. final axial movement overlap per spindle rotation
…. Is that a programmed set of cuts?

Please believe me when I say that I would truly love to pre-load all those settings and depress “GO”. Alas, I cannot.

Rich

"…. Is that a programmed set of cuts?

Please believe me when I say that I would truly love to pre-load all those settings and depress “GO”. Alas, I cannot."

So, I guess that you are the computer and interpret the memory as written.

I don't mean to disparage the work you do it's just I do not see a fine line between CNC and OT.

This is not my intention to criticize anyone, just to point out that there is no right or wrong way to do something, as long as it is safe. I will continue to do things my way which relies on the curve, see other topic, rather than a planned out project. I had enough of that in a prior life.

Enjoy what you do.

Stu

I have a Rose Engine and that is a lathe by any other name. I have CNC's they are not lathes. The name of this site AAW Forum and to me that means American Association of Woodturners. If I want to learn about CNC's I would not come here as this site is about turned objects and yes some people use other means to add to the turnings. All in all it is turning and I myself do not put my CNC's in that venue.
Hi Bill,
I didn't notice your posting when originally posted.

Does this mean you would support CNC's if they were lathes?

I have a CNC router that turns wood like a lathe, if quite a bit slower and with greater precision, and uses a spinning bit (just like a cutting frame) to take pieces off of it. It can move the spinny bit in and out, just like a rose engine, geometric, or eccentric chuck. It moves left and right just like my hands minus the creaking. It's wood, it turns, and it gets cut with sharp tools. You can even get catches. How is that not wood turning?

I'm not a production turner, it's very rare I'd make more than one or two copies of the same design on the machine, and I spend way more time planning the cuts and telling the software how to make them than I do with my conventional wood lathes. I've spent close to 10 years learning how to use that kind of software, and got started with regular woodturning because I was interested in ornamental turning, even if I still haven't gotten there. I get it's not for everybody, but I don't have the funds to purchase a Rose Engine, even the reincarnated MDF RE is far from cheap these days. I've been a software developer/maintainer/bottle washer since the 1960s and have many years of learning the craft.

Don't you just love argumental (lets be nice) people. Like a dog on a bone. I ran, used, or operated cnc machines at GE for the last 18 years before I retired after 33 years. Can a lathe, Mill or anything else be operated by cnc guidance, yes. Does that make them a Rose Engine? NO! Specifically could a Rose Engine be operated by cnc control I'm sure someone could figure it out. But brass tacks the person who started this group started with the thought of a normally conceived idea of a Rose Engine and that normal idea of a rose engine to 99% of the earth is not a cnc machine. My two little cnc machines are not Rose Engines and never will be and I won't be looking for info on them here. And as far as the thread directly above that sounds like a router copy machine. And as far as these cnc machines that will support a fourth or fifth axis they cost way more than I paid for my Rose Engine which was over twice the cost of a current MDF Rose Engine. Please go start a group about cnc, be glad to join you there.

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
I have a CNC router that turns wood like a lathe, if quite a bit slower and with greater precision, and uses a spinning bit (just like a cutting frame) to take pieces off of it. It can move the spinny bit in and out, just like a rose engine, geometric, or eccentric chuck. It moves left and right just like my hands minus the creaking. It's wood, it turns, and it gets cut with sharp tools. You can even get catches. How is that not wood turning?

I'm not a production turner, it's very rare I'd make more than one or two copies of the same design on the machine, and I spend way more time planning the cuts and telling the software how to make them than I do with my conventional wood lathes. I've spent close to 10 years learning how to use that kind of software, and got started with regular woodturning because I was interested in ornamental turning, even if I still haven't gotten there. I get it's not for everybody, but I don't have the funds to purchase a Rose Engine, even the reincarnated MDF RE is far from cheap these days. I've been a software developer/maintainer/bottle washer since the 1960s and have many years of learning the craft.
Kirk,

Sent you a PM regarding my original MDF Rose Engine Lathe.

Rich

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Just chiming in here, even though I’m certainly the least qualified to speak on the subject of ornamental turning. BUT, I find this thread in interesting esoteric discussion that started as “what” constitutes an ornamental turning, and do CNC pieces qualify for presentation in this forum. I think everyone here understands the difference between a Rose Engine lathe and a 5-axis CNC, which is essentially a computer driven lathe. In both cases, the wood is typically mounted in a rotating chuck, and the cutter moves around the wood in some sort of pattern. I imagine both have capabilities the other does not, and I’m certain both have steep learning curves. Maybe someone can make a Venn diagram? Kidding.

Regarding cost, I’m sure the spectrum is very wide for both Rose Engine and CNC. Basic 4/5 axis CNCs can be had for ~$600, and the MDF Rose Engine seems relatively affordable. I gather it would not be incredibly difficult to put together a home-made machine that has ornamental turning capabilities if you were so inclined.

Anyway, I’m not sure what the point of my post is, aside from noting the tone of this forum is getting a little heated. Maybe a good compromise would be to have a CNC thread/gallery in this OTI forum? That might placate everyone. Remember, there is no cheating in woodworking, only lying.

Last edited:
Don't you just love argumental (lets be nice) people. Like a dog on a bone. I ran, used, or operated cnc machines at GE for the last 18 years before I retired after 33 years. Can a lathe, Mill or anything else be operated by cnc guidance, yes. Does that make them a Rose Engine? NO! Specifically could a Rose Engine be operated by cnc control I'm sure someone could figure it out. But brass tacks the person who started this group started with the thought of a normally conceived idea of a Rose Engine and that normal idea of a rose engine to 99% of the earth is not a cnc machine. My two little cnc machines are not Rose Engines and never will be and I won't be looking for info on them here. And as far as the thread directly above that sounds like a router copy machine. And as far as these cnc machines that will support a fourth or fifth axis they cost way more than I paid for my Rose Engine which was over twice the cost of a current MDF Rose Engine. Please go start a group about cnc, be glad to join you there.
Not a router copy machine (no probe so trying to use it a copier could be difficult), it's a BobsCNC Revolution if you want to look. Nowhere near the class machines you used, but it provides X, Z, and A (no Y so only along center cuts) axes, left/right, up/down, spin. Bill Oombs wrote ornamental turning software that I was hoping to start adapting this summer, but life got in the way again, medical community needed some boat and snowmobile payments. I had it running with some simple mods (change C to A) but didn't get any further, and need a lot more learning and practice with it. Hoping it might be possible to make the spindle make cuts like a turning frame by using arcs, only problem is all my math classes were around 1970 so there's a fair amount of study involved.

As much as I think it would be fun to have a spring pole lathe, all of mine have electric motors and some have electronic controls, CNC just adds some more motors and electronics (I'll qualify that as I suffer from engineer's disease). No idea how to create a new group/subform/whatever here, nor if I have sufficient privileges to do so.

Michael Anderson: "Anyway, I’m not sure what the point of my post is, aside from noting the tone of this forum is getting a little heated. Maybe a good compromise would be to have a CNC thread/gallery in this OTI forum? That May placate everyone. Remember, there is no cheating in woodworking, only lying." Didn't really interpret it as heated, just different opinions by enthusiastic people. Disagreements are much more thought provoking than when everybody agrees. Sorry if I've given any offense.

Last edited:
Kirk, I have looked at your Rotary Axis CNC Router Kit and it looks quite interesting and I can see you having a great time with it. And I understand how you can call your work Ornamental Turning. What I don't understand is the reluctance for those that use cnc machines to start their own forum. I am interested in Ornamental Turning not cnc sharks or table saws in this forum. Is that too much to expect?

Kirk, I have looked at your Rotary Axis CNC Router Kit and it looks quite interesting and I can see you having a great time with it. And I understand how you can call your work Ornamental Turning. What I don't understand is the reluctance for those that use cnc machines to start their own forum. I am interested in Ornamental Turning not cnc sharks or table saws in this forum. Is that too much to expect?

I can't call my work ornamental turning but hope it's in the future, I'm still in the beginner learn what the machine and it's hardware/software tools can do stage. What do you mean by starting a new forum? Going to a non-AAW forum hosting site and starting from scratch is how I'd interpret that, be gone and darken our doors no more. However I'm a techie and perhaps interpret things more narrowly. If you mean another subform (section, whatever this XenForo forum software calls it, say Forum>Woodturning Forums>Ornamental Turning>CNC) under this one that would be great and make the rare CNC related posts easier to find. I have no idea how to do that, or if I have permissions to do so. I think cross-pollination is great, but know that not everybody agrees with that.

I've done guilloche-like work with a cnc router and diamond drag bit, and started a straight line guilloche emulator prototype but only to the point of simple zigzag patterns, but those aren't related to woodturning.

Jon

Website
www.rogueturner.com
Some interesting comments and opinions here.

I should clarify that when I introduced Doug as being from "The Dark Side" back at the OTI symposium in 2004, it was mostly in jest, because he was doing some really clever stuff back then, way over the heads of most people looking at it, transforming and scaling what to most people would look like "traditional" ornamental turning patterns, but created on his CNC mill (a HAAS VF2 at the time IIRC?). I thought what he was doing was ground breaking. But I also knew people would deride and dismiss it because, "...it was made on a machine." At that same time some other highly respected "artists" were also dabbling in computer controlled machines to produce art. I have a few pieces in my personal collection from those "early days".

A lot of times I describe ornamental turning as "geometric carving", and I have encountered many turners who dismiss it because the pieces aren't "hand turned", or the rose engine patterns "come from cams". Regardless, practitioners have been producing very artistic pieces through the centuries using various complex devices, and almost always in conjunction with "hand turning" to complete an object.

Coincidentally it was almost exactly a year ago, I was answering a question and trying to describe the stepper motor controller that a few of us have been collaborating on, that I said,...

"It is about automating the tedium, not eliminating the user as the artist."

My personal design process almost always involves drawing an object out, whether pencil and paper, or CAD. Then using that drawing to create the object. In my demos and talks I often use a couple old CAD drawings to illustrate how you can "layout" adjacent cuts, to get a desired shape. Attached is an excerpt from a demo handout I use to illustrate a "faceting technique" to create convex curves.

So the question, which quickly turns into a debate, is what happens if a computer moves the tool or a user / artist moves the tool? Evoking the age old queries, "Is it still art?" or, "What is art?"

Take note that two "artists" have been featured on covers of American Woodturner, both highlighting pieces "turned" using CNC. Is their work still art? I'd say so, since bidders at the AAW auction have voted with their wallets and bought pieces by both of them (Dewey Garret and Bill Ooms).

I will say history tends to repeat itself, whether it was the Luddites burning down cotton and wollen mills, or turners debating if painting, carving or burning is still "turning" or "art"?

In my opinion, tools are tools, and artists are artists. Artists use tools to create their works of art. Their "arsenals" may include welders, lathes, drill presses, routers, air brushes, rotary carvers, hammers, pneumatic grinders, sliding compound miter saws, jigs, bandsaws, and even, god forbid, computer controlled tools.

That said, the distinction I try to use when people confuse CNC with other techniques, is that most CNC machines require the user (artist?) to design their object ahead of time on a "design computer", traditionally using CAD (computer aided design) software, and then make that object using a machine controlled by another computer, which in the case of contemporary CNC machines means executing "g-code" on the controller for the machine (regardless of whether it is a lathe, router, mill, plasma torch or other CNC machine).

What many people don't realize is that design software has been going through a revolution in the last few years, and many newer design applications are much more "sculptural" or artistic in their approach to designing objects that will still be cut by a machine with a CNC controller. To my mind there is a very blurry line today between artistic creations and machine made objects, and I expect that to get blurrier as time marches on.

Creating beautiful objects is an artistic and expressive process. The tools that anyone choses to use to execute their perfect piece should have nothing to do with whether the end result is "art". As the old saying goes, art is in the eye of the beholder, and if the beholder thinks it is beautiful, they probably don't care what "tools" were used to create it.

For what it is worth, that is my humble opinion,

--Jon

Attachments

• Faceting-Technique.pdf
    88.9 KB · Views: 32
Some interesting comments and opinions here.

I should clarify that when I introduced Doug as being from "The Dark Side" back at the OTI symposium in 2004, it was mostly in jest, because he was doing some really clever stuff back then, way over the heads of most people looking at it, transforming and scaling what to most people would look like "traditional" ornamental turning patterns, but created on his CNC mill (a HAAS VF2 at the time IIRC?). I thought what he was doing was ground breaking. But I also knew people would deride and dismiss it because, "...it was made on a machine." At that same time some other highly respected "artists" were also dabbling in computer controlled machines to produce art. I have a few pieces in my personal collection from those "early days".

A lot of times I describe ornamental turning as "geometric carving", and I have encountered many turners who dismiss it because the pieces aren't "hand turned", or the rose engine patterns "come from cams". Regardless, practitioners have been producing very artistic pieces through the centuries using various complex devices, and almost always in conjunction with "hand turning" to complete an object.

Coincidentally it was almost exactly a year ago, I was answering a question and trying to describe the stepper motor controller that a few of us have been collaborating on, that I said,...

"It is about automating the tedium, not eliminating the user as the artist."

My personal design process almost always involves drawing an object out, whether pencil and paper, or CAD. Then using that drawing to create the object. In my demos and talks I often use a couple old CAD drawings to illustrate how you can "layout" adjacent cuts, to get a desired shape. Attached is an excerpt from a demo handout I use to illustrate a "faceting technique" to create convex curves.

So the question, which quickly turns into a debate, is what happens if a computer moves the tool or a user / artist moves the tool? Evoking the age old queries, "Is it still art?" or, "What is art?"

Take note that two "artists" have been featured on covers of American Woodturner, both highlighting pieces "turned" using CNC. Is their work still art? I'd say so, since bidders at the AAW auction have voted with their wallets and bought pieces by both of them (Dewey Garret and Bill Ooms).

I will say history tends to repeat itself, whether it was the Luddites burning down cotton and wollen mills, or turners debating if painting, carving or burning is still "turning" or "art"?

In my opinion, tools are tools, and artists are artists. Artists use tools to create their works of art. Their "arsenals" may include welders, lathes, drill presses, routers, air brushes, rotary carvers, hammers, pneumatic grinders, sliding compound miter saws, jigs, bandsaws, and even, god forbid, computer controlled tools.

That said, the distinction I try to use when people confuse CNC with other techniques, is that most CNC machines require the user (artist?) to design their object ahead of time on a "design computer", traditionally using CAD (computer aided design) software, and then make that object using a machine controlled by another computer, which in the case of contemporary CNC machines means executing "g-code" on the controller for the machine (regardless of whether it is a lathe, router, mill, plasma torch or other CNC machine).

What many people don't realize is that design software has been going through a revolution in the last few years, and many newer design applications are much more "sculptural" or artistic in their approach to designing objects that will still be cut by a machine with a CNC controller. To my mind there is a very blurry line today between artistic creations and machine made objects, and I expect that to get blurrier as time marches on.

Creating beautiful objects is an artistic and expressive process. The tools that anyone choses to use to execute their perfect piece should have nothing to do with whether the end result is "art". As the old saying goes, art is in the eye of the beholder, and if the beholder thinks it is beautiful, they probably don't care what "tools" were used to create it.

For what it is worth, that is my humble opinion,

--Jon
Well put Jon as you say beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Back