• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Ornamental Turning Forum

I don't want to know about operating systems. My Shark HD510 (probably one that Doug says has a weak operating system) will do everything that my 77 year old brain will think up once I learn the software. I'm not out to set the world on fire I just want to have fun. :) This is the best thing for me that Doug has said "No knowledge of operating systems, electronics and so on are needed, design your part in Vectric and create the Gcode in Vectric.". Like the song by Cyndi Lauper "Girls (and boys) just wanna have fun"! I'll continue to try and follow your conversations though.

I think Bobs machines are a Grbl 1.x board = looks like a Uno clone in his Parts. Plug into your CNC USB. Try running the most recent stable Grblgru. On the top ribbon click the 6th icon = Show controller window. Pick the bottom USB Port (usually). Under machines pick DIYCNC, for boards pick Grbl V1.x (3 axis). It should sign into your board, progress visible in the bottom right window. If successful you should be able to move your machine. If so, Lightburn will work as well.
You're correct, it's an Uno clone with a CNC Shield V3.0, with their modified turn Y into A firmware. I replaced it with an Uno form factor ESPDuino and another CNC shield so I could preserve the original intact

I'm not out to set the world on fire I just want to have fun.
Great comment! I spend too much time helping support CNC beginners in another venue, where software shock and learning curves are a big issue. Many succeed but I wonder how many end up on the trap thrower or buried in the back of a closet. Hmm, maybe you could cast one in resin and turn it?

Website
discord.gg
I feel like I need to jump into this discussion! I've also been exploring CNC embellishments, though not what I would call ornamental turning. The approach I have taken is to convert the lathe itself into a 4-axis CNC. There is a bolt-on X-Z carriage (pulled from a dumpster) with the tool mounted on X with its own rotary axis (B). The A axis is the lathe spindle with a 3D printed pulley driven by a NEMA23. Control board runs GRBLHal with an LPC7809 32-bit board and TMC5130 stepper drivers. I can easily interchange a small diode laser or router. I haven't done a lot with it, but it does make doing pewa amazingly fast and accurate (no gluing on templates etc.). I have a very small work space, so having the bolt-on option was a requirement for my designs.
20230801_184633.jpgWWW20231122_194604.jpgWWW20231203_133302.jpg

I feel like I need to jump into this discussion! I've also been exploring CNC embellishments, though not what I would call ornamental turning. The approach I have taken is to convert the lathe itself into a 4-axis CNC. There is a bolt-on X-Z carriage (pulled from a dumpster) with the tool mounted on X with its own rotary axis (B). The A axis is the lathe spindle with a 3D printed pulley driven by a NEMA23. Control board runs GRBLHal with an LPC7809 32-bit board and TMC5130 stepper drivers. I can easily interchange a small diode laser or router. I haven't done a lot with it, but it does make doing pewa amazingly fast and accurate (no gluing on templates etc.). I have a very small work space, so having the bolt-on option was a requirement for my designs.
View attachment 59486View attachment 59487View attachment 59488
Paul, that is very interesting work you are doing there. I have an interest in CNC stuff as well and I applaud your efforts on this. What controller are you using? Keep up the good work and sharing!

Website
discord.gg
Paul, that is very interesting work you are doing there. I have an interest in CNC stuff as well and I applaud your efforts on this. What controller are you using? Keep up the good work and sharing!
Thanks, Alan! The controller is a spare 3D printer board I had sitting around (BTT SKR 1.4 Turbo). It is supported with GrblHAL and has replaceable stepper drivers which let me upgrade to the TMC5130 to provide a little more comfort running all NEMA23s.

You're correct, it's an Uno clone with a CNC Shield V3.0, with their modified turn Y into A firmware. I replaced it with an Uno form factor ESPDuino and another CNC shield so I could preserve the original intact
That ESPduino is very similar if not the same as a CanDuino I used a couple years ago. You should be able to get 3 linear and 1 rotary out of that still using the Uno shield with the clipped off resistor. I’ve done that then moved on ha ha.

Here are a couple of my recent ventures with Ornamental Turning. They are of Birch with Walnut for accent. I first turned them on my wood lathe, then probed the forms to make a suitable XML file for export to COrnLathe. The patterns were designed in that program then the GCode exported for cutting. One was cut with a 1/8” horizontal fly cutter, the other with a 1/4” router three wing slotting cutter. Both were done on my OT adapted small metal lathe.
After a year of experimenting and tool creation, I’m ready to start creating more finished pieces.

Attachments

• IMG_4791.jpeg
    IMG_4791.jpeg
    449.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4793.jpeg
    IMG_4793.jpeg
    455.1 KB · Views: 6
Back