• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Osage Orange vs. Mulbery

Is there any resemblence? I was given several pieces of wood that I was told were male mulbery but looking at the pic's on the forum they look exactly alike! The wood came out of the Sioux City Iowa area has that bright gold color and after time turns brown.

Frank D.

Website
www.woodnheart.com
Put a sliver of wood on water. Osage orange will turn the water yellow. Mulberry will not. Both trees are in the mulberry family.

Good luck.

Dave Smith

Actually finished something today in Longview, WA.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
The trees are fairly easy to tell apart. Oasge has long thorns.

The wood itself is hard. When I make a clean cut with the gouge I notice an very slight hint of fuzz between the grain lines on the mulberry the Osage cuts very cleanly.

I learned this at the Woodshow Demonstration when
a guy said "your turning osage"
Everyone else that day had begun with "what wood it that?"

So I asked him "how He knew it wasn't Mulberry" He went on to explain he had just sawn a few thousand board feet of both and to look at the grain lines for the fuzz so anothother of many things you learn when demonstrating.

-Al

Back