• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Packard 2060 lathe tools

I have been looking at the Packard line of lathe tools from Packard Woodworks, and was wondering if the 2030 or 2060 grade steel is worth the extra $$$. I don't mind spending extra for quality if it is a good value. I also don't like buying the same tool twice. I have been leaning toward the 2060 grade steel. This line of tools costs about the same as Sorby tools sold elsewhere.

Can someone advise on the quality of this line? Are the handles of good quality?

Thanks,
Dennis

Dennis,

I have several Hamlet 2060 tools (same stuff) and like them very much. I have two 1/2" bowl gouges which are identical to the Ellsworth Signature gouge, a diamond parting tool, a 3/8" spindle gouge, and 3/4" roughing gouge. Truthfully, I don't use the roughing gouge any more because the bowl gouges are so durable, I use them for roughing as well.

I also have a 2060 3/4" skew, however I find it more difficult to get a really fine edge, and prefer the results I get with the M2 HHS skew.

Hope this helps.

Mark

I have several Hamlet 2060 tools that I have used for two years or so, and recently spent some $$$ to buy some Packard 2060 tools. I would assume they are the same tools with different labels, handles are identical with different company gold stampings on them. I personally have been very impressed with the tools, sharpening takes time but hold an edge well. I bought the Packard 2060 tools to replace some well-used HSS tools. I think they cut better and last longer between sharpenings, but maybe I am just trying to justify what I spent on them. Also the differnce was in the handle quality and sturdiness of the tools themselves. I love them, much better than what I had before. I suggest you buy just one and see how you like it, but I think you will be impressed.

Ray

Website
www.woodturner.org
The 2060 is a brand of Powdered Metal Steel. I happen to use the Crown versions. Mark Mandell is spot-on. In general PM tools stay sharper longer, but their initial edge is not as fine as M2 steel.

So I have a couple of PM gouges which I use for roughouts and shaping. I also have an M2 steel gouge with the same sharpened profile for the final, more detailed cuts. The M2 gouge takes a better edge off the grinder and reduces the amount of sanding that has to be done. (Of course, as we all become better turners that statement applies as well).

Is There a Metalurgist In The House?

Hey Jeff,

I had (and still have) trouble understanding why we get a finer edge with M2 over the 2060 (or 2030) when both are done on the exact same grinding wheel. It just doesn't make sense to me. I even e-mailed Hamlet with the question. I got a response, but not an explination of the phenomenon. After all, any edge ground on a 120 grit wheel "should" be the same, whatever alloy the tool happens to be made off, since the grit on the wheel is not changing its size, right? Well, apparently "not right," but dern'd if I can find a good answer why!

I understand that the crystaline structure of the various steel alloys vary so there are differences on the molecular level that will effect how fine an edge can ultimately be put on the metal. But a 120 grit wheel isn't grinding anywhere near molecular size, so intuitively I keep thinking each edge should be the same "120 grit sharpness."

Issue's been bugging me, so if there's anybody in the studio audience that can explain this situation, I'd really like to hear about it.

Mark

TEK

Theory

Powdered Metal will fracture if cooled too quickly. I have a Crown PM bowl gouge that I quenched in water right off the grinder. I didn't know at the time you don't quench those types of steel. Afterwards I'm using the gouge roughing out a bowl from green wood, and half of one of the wings falls off. I found out what I did wrong and reground it. I lost and 1/8" or so of the gouge but now when I grind it correctly it's a fine tool. Maybe on the 2060 tools the very thinnest part of the edge air cools so fast it fractures and is lost. I wonder if the sharpness would match the M2 tools if a wet wheel was used or they were honed with a diamond hone after grinding.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Are 2030/2060 tools worth they extra money?

Probably not for bowl turning tools.

I say no Because it is unlikely they will last you any longer than the M2 steel tools because you will most likely sharpen them just as often as you would the M2 steel.

Think about how you turn a small natural edge bowl
Sharpen the tool rough the outside shape
sharpen the tool refine the outside shape
sharpen the tool shear scrape the outside surface
sharpen the tool rough out the inside
sharpen the tool finish turn the inside
sharpen the tool turn off the bottom

I think they may be a good deal for spindle turning since in spindle turning you are always making finish cuts and tend to use the tool until it needs sharpening.

The Packard tools are excellent and they come in M2 steel too.

Happy Turning,
-Al

Last edited:
Back