• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Will Armstrong for "Gold Carved Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 20th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Padre Hat-Not San Diego

This is the latest project taking a good amount of time as the turning was a lot more complicated. I could have done a better job of beading on the inside but at this point it will have to do. Hopefully if there is another one I will remember where I need to do a better job. Made from hard maple about 15x3.75 with the actual one 16x3. Still needs to have finish applied. This is my first attempt at this type of basket illusion but has been on the list for some time. So many projects so little time.
icon_e_smile.gif

According to my research book the Chumash tribe in San Luis Obispo county, California started weaving these type of hats for the Franciscan mission priests to wear in the late 1790's. This type of brimmed hat was a European concept however it took the Chumash to actually weave a hat of this shape. I suppose the name came from the mission priests as they were usually called Padre, that's my story and I am sticking with it. This tribe also grew grain as I have made a winnowing tray that came from the same tribe. The women of this tribe were quite accomplished weavers.

Chumash 11.jpg

Weaving by the numerous tribes in North America is amazing. I just finished reading a book mentioning the Vietnamese who made boats that were woven and were watertight with nothing to seal it.

Back