• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Paper Glue-up

Website
www.beyondbark.com
Has anyone used the paper glue-up method? What I mean is when you glue two piece together with newspaper in between it. The idea is to make taking it apart easier. This is often used for inside out turning. What i want to know is if this method would hold strong enough to turn a stave bowl. The idea is to glue the stave bowl together in separate halves and then paper glue the two halves together. This way when the bowl is completed I can separate it without cutting. Has anyone tried this? I want to demonstrate to someone the thin wall consistency on a project but would like to put the bowl back together when done. It would also be helpful when doing ribbons.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I have done paper joints, using grocery bags. Generally they don't hold up to a big catch. So I don't know how well the would hold up to a thin wall construction. Figure the only thing holding the walls together at that point is the thickness of paper.

It's been a long time since I did paper joints, but I had much better luck using paper grocery bags. I never could get the newspaper joints to come apart right -- I ended up chiseling them apart and loosing wood on both sides of the joint. :(

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I've done exactly what you say. I use newspaper. I don't totally trust the glue joint on bowls especially if they are thin so I turn the outside first and then put nylon strapping tape around the outside to guarantee the bowl won't come apart. It's worked fine so far.

Back