• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Paul Douglas

Hi
My name is Paul Douglas, and I wanted to join because I just got myself a old sears roebuck lathe, I enjoyed what I may be able to do. But my problem is , once I round out a piece of wood I don't know what to make or how to make it...I've watch videos, but cannot even make a Christmas tree. About 20 in the garbage. I can't find tutoring that I can afford.ive ruined two chiles by sharpening, it's getting frustrating.... i make sliding barn doors mostly but wanted to try turning . Ill post pics of my home workshop when i learn how here ...help. please

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
Your best bet is to find an AAW chapter near you. Go to a couple meetings, you'll meet some people, get some support/ideas, and probably find a mentor. Having someone look over your shoulder and point out how to improve is something you just can't get on YouTube.
Check here: https://www.woodturner.org/Woodturner/AAWConnects/AAW-Connects.aspx for chapters near you. You can, for example, select Ontario in the state/province thingy.
Even if it's an hour or so away, it's worth going to a meeting or two. I drive a 2-hour round trip to our monthly meeting, and I find it totally worth it. You might find someone else in the area to ride-share with, and many clubs are streaming their meetings, so you can "attend" online when you're unable to drive.

The AAW also has a curated list of topics and videos here: https://www.woodturner.org/Woodturner/Woodturner/About/Learning-Resources.aspx - those have been reviewed for content and safety. That requires an AAW membership, but you can get a 3-month free "test-drive" (Affiliate Membership) : https://www.woodturner.org/Woodturner/Woodturner/Join-Pages/Ways-to-Join-Woodturners.aspx

Hi
My name is Paul Douglas, and I wanted to join because I just got myself a old sears roebuck lathe, I enjoyed what I may be able to do. But my problem is , once I round out a piece of wood I don't know what to make or how to make it...I've watch videos, but cannot even make a Christmas tree. About 20 in the garbage. I can't find tutoring that I can afford.ive ruined two chiles by sharpening, it's getting frustrating.... i make sliding barn doors mostly but wanted to try turning . Ill post pics of my home workshop when i learn how here ...help. please
Hello Paul.
PLAY with your lathe as much as you can, Don't try to make anything. work on your eye hand skills, (types of cuts) AND YOUR BASE/ how you stand. using your body not your arm to control the cutting of the lathe chisels. (something most people do not think of, when turning.)
Also use "Green Wood" (cut off scraps and tree limbs) for practice. Make lots of shavings. enjoy the process not the results.

As a general rule of thumb that I like to think of, is Never tell people what you are making, until you are done. This way the 4 posted bed that you wanted to make, wont looks so bad a an pencil box. ;-p

All kidding aside. I think of GREEN Wood and FUN! and Dried wood as WORK! Play as much as you can, enjoy using the lathe before you try to make it WORK.

C.A.G.

Back