• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Paul Jubb

Hi all. I am a new woodturner if you don't count some turning I did in school when I was a kid living overseas. I am in the process of setting up a new shop which is under construction right now. I moved to NW Washington from SE Washington about a year ago. Since I am headed towards retirement in the next 5 or so years, I decided to get a hobby started a little early.
I am usually more comfortable as a lurker and have been here for a couple of months learning lots of valuable things already. I am interested in lots of areas of turning and woodworking in general.
My Powermatic 3520C is being delivered today but won't be set up for a couple more weeks when the shop is finished. I have realized that this a very complicated hobby with lots of needs. So thanks for what you all have done already and for your patience and understanding for future questions and help.

Paul

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Welcome to the forum, Paul, and congrats on the lathe!
Mark

Welcome! Complicated? No. Expensive. Yes!
Very true John perhaps it is complicted because it can be so expensive.:) I am lucky my wife encouraged me to get a hobby and reached a point during my analysis paralysis stage.... said "just buy the Powermatic so I don't have to listen to any more Youtube videos on lathe reviews." Bless her heart....so I did, for her sake.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Very true John perhaps it is complicted because it can be so expensive.:) I am lucky my wife encouraged me to get a hobby and reached a point during my analysis paralysis stage.... said "just buy the Powermatic so I don't have to listen to any more Youtube videos on lathe reviews." Bless her heart....so I did, for her sake.

Welcome to the AAW forum, Paul. Great strategy for getting the lathe that you wanted. I had a similar experience and my wife told me that I should get a Robust lathe. I didn't waste a second calling Brent English (AKA, Mr. Robust) and placing my order.

There are so many facets to woodturning that there is always something new to learn.

Paul,

Starting off with a capable machine like the Powermatic 3520C removes the excuse of tool or equipment performance, this only leaves operator error with your results. :)
With a machine that size you should be able to make just about any kind of project for many years. Many turners starting out work their way up to larger machines and
need to add appropriate sized accessories for each of the larger machines. You made a good decision in your lathe selection starting out, now you can focus on the proper
use of the hand tools getting the results you desire.

Back