• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Pencil marks

How do you remove pencil marks from projects. Sanding off seems to take forever. Is there a better way to remove same or perhaps a better way to mark lines on the wood.

brian horais

Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.horais.com
I'm with Robo, erasers work very well. Get a good eraser, not the one on the end of the pencil. Also, try not to use the hard lead pencils - they leave a faint line and make an indentation in the wood. I like the softer lead pencils that make a mark without a lot of pressure.

I use 6B pencils as the "lead" is soft, and does not leave an impression in the wood. Learned this tip from Rolly Munro during his symposium demo years ago. They do wear down fast, so I buy several each time I go to the art supply store.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
DNA works great.as.well.as.a.good.pencil.eraser. however #2.pencils.dent the wood and that has to be sanded out. Use a.2B or softer.artists pencil. They dont dent the wood and DNA takes it off very easily.

I'm with Rick - 6b or 4b either are nice and soft, don't leave an inprint and come off easily with dna or, better yet, a mars white eraser. I keep a bunch of clutch pencils around the shop loaded with 6b and 4b lead in 3mm and 5mm diameters - like the sketching or tool box pencil kits available at Craft Supply.

Marc I had the same issue,. erasers sometimes work, other times, not. DNA and Acetone were also hit and miss. But a month ago I discovered using isopropocol alcohol. It works great. I cleaned a piece of maple yesterday as well as used it to clean my erasers. it's cheap. get it at the drugstore.

Pencil on wood reminds me of Mr. Kendricks our high school wood shop teacher. We had required projects to complete before moving onto something we really wanted to make. He liked to keep the whole class at the same stage of the required projects. So if you were a fast worker when you showed him your work he would scribble all over it with his pencil telling you to sand the marks off before moving on to the next step. He was an awful teacher.

I use 6B pencils as the "lead" is soft, and does not leave an impression in the wood. Learned this tip from Rolly Munro during his symposium demo years ago. They do wear down fast, so I buy several each time I go to the art supply store.
Thanks I’ll try the 6b , seems like I’ve spent hours trying to remove from ash wood

Back