• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Pete Bergquist

Hi! I'm Pete from the Lehigh Valley in PA. I'm a VERY new woodturner. Before Thankgiving I had never been around a lathe or turning tools, but I have been doing amateur woodworking for many years. I took a 7 week class at the local Woodcraft (who also host a local club) and was immediately hooked. Attached is a picture of an ash bowl made in that class.

I retired 2 years ago, and I expect lots of shavings to be in my future.

My lovely wife unit was kind enough to let me pick out a lathe and some tools as a christmas present (NICE, HUH?), so I am now the proud owner of a Nova Galaxi DVR lathe and a small assortment of tools.

I would like to continue to develop and learn more about what's possible. I just finished doing an off-axis turn to make a handle for my 1/2" drill bit "Depth Finder".

upload_2019-1-4_8-46-6.jpeg

Welcome aboard Peter. You might also want to check out the video selection on the AAW site. You never know about the safety and efficacy of internet videos. The AAW verifies all videos on site so you can be assured of proper technique and safety in those approved videos. There is a great collection of experience here so someone can answer a question when you have one, maybe even several different answers.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Welcome to the forum,
Looks like you have made a nice start in what many of us find to the
be a life long adventure.

You have discover the local clubs which are great.

Ditto non what Gerald said. You tube has the good the bad and the ugly.
Videos screened by AAW volunteers for safe and effective practices.
http://aawvideosource.org/

Also AAW has a lot to offer and a good bit can be seen with a free test drive.
Check out the guest membership - some publications are available.
https://www.woodturner.org/page/GuestMemberLanding

Thanks everyone. Just to be clear, the off axis turn I did did not come from any YouTube video. It was a project in the AAW intro to woodturning book.

I'm pretty fastidious about safety, so thanks for the tips.

Back