• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Photos

Of course! Modern phones have very good cameras. There are quite a few professional photographers that look down their noses at phone cameras but I’ve had pictures from my phone published in magazines and books. Publishers are very fussy about the quality of their pictures!

Richard

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Just like Richard said, yes. There are some limitations, but the gap between phone and dedicated camera system is becoming smaller. I think I remember reading @pat miller say that he uses a phone for his shots, and his photographs are excellent.

I take more pictures with an iPad than a phone but provided the light is ok they can both produce surprisingly good pictures. I also have a MILC but that’s mainly for holiday pictures.

My photo quality took major steps forward with some advice I received on WoW. I still can’t claim to be a great photographer, but I’m no longer embarrassed by my photos next to others. All my photos are with my iPhone XR, the key for me is a ~graduated light background (gray scale would be better), adequate lighting (still could do much better here), and simple post-processing software (I use Snapseed, free, usually autowhite balance and image tuning wizard are all I use).

The only issue I’ve seen using an iPad is when photographing very small pieces. I found the depth of focus was insufficient to do the piece justice. Focus stacking with a MILC solved the problem.

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
I take more pictures with an iPad than a phone but provided the light is ok they can both produce surprisingly good pictures. I also have a MILC but that’s mainly for holiday pictures.
Curiosity made me google MILC... got stuff about cloud-based herd management, Media Industry Licensing Content, Midstate Independent Living, Milk Income Loss Contract, Minor League Cricket, etc.
Not sure that any of these would help my photography...

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Curiosity made me google MILC... got stuff about cloud-based herd management, Media Industry Licensing Content, Midstate Independent Living, Milk Income Loss Contract, Minor League Cricket, etc.
Ha! MILC stands for mirrorless interchangeable lens camera.

Sorry Dave, Michael has it. I have a Fuji Mirrorless Camera.

Website
www.instagram.com
Yes, you can get excellent pictures with a higher end smart phone but ONLY IF you understand lighting (quality and direction). The primary advantages of a DSLR are lens quality, focal length options, and depth of field control. The teeny tiny sensor in smart phones inherently gives tremendous DOF, which in my view is not always an advantage. The "simulated" depth of field (bokeh) adjustments on multi-lens smart phones are OK but not the same as the real thing from a DSLR.

Back