• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

PM 3520 A Value

Recently picked one up in the 2500 range, did include a bunch of extras. More than happy with it thus far, a solid improvement over the previous lathe. If you don't bite at that price, someone else will. The seller of mine got annoyed with a bunch of other buyers who were second through Nth in line, since it took me 4 days to get it.

I would be interested in knowing more about drilling and tapping the legs, as I'd like to add a shelf at headstock end, and perhaps set myself up for an extension at the tailstock end.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I paid $2000 for my A about 20 years ago or just a few years after they brought that model out. I did drill my legs and add a piece of steel to the inside for strength. However I could not use the same dimensions as the B series. Fortunately I have a metal lathe and could custom build the extended tool rest. So unless you have some fair metal working skills I would not attempt lowering the bed.

FWIW - I've had very intermittent luck with the Mustard Monster site recently. Seems that most of the links are not found. But that may be partially timing, or due to not using Chrome, as they are all Google Docs.

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Thanks Dean and Kirk. Pretty cool website. Some of the docs are inaccessible to me as well, but I’m sure I could gain access by contacting Rich directly. Looks like a great resource for all things 3520. The Mustard Monster, haha.

Back