• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Polishing your turnings

OK, I just finished a bee hive of an unknown wood, applied two coats of satin WOP. Looks decent but, to me, not good. This is only my second real turning but realize that I have a lot more to learn. What would be the result of polishing satin WOP? I know many use a gloss finish and polish. Now for a couple of questions for the forum.
1. I have a grinder that can be used for polishing but it is the 3250 rpm motor. Is that too fast, even with a light touch? Trying to keep expenses down.
2. What do you recommend for polishing? I have a set of four polishing "sticks" that I could use- I believe they are black, brown, red, white. Couldn't find the box right now for positive ID. Waxes? I have a Woodcraft store locally so some things would be available.
Thanks in advance!

3250 is way too fast. It will burn through a thin film quickly. Especially if you use a course polishing compound. Two coats of WOP equates to less than 1 coat of traditional poly. Add more finish before trying to chase a bad finish.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I purchased an 8" extension and use that with the Beal Buffing system 4" wheels and use it on my lathe. I run the lathe around 1500rpm so my surface speed is way below a grinder with 6" wheels and 3450. You can buy small buffing wheels at lowes and the hardware store. Use the Brown and white sticks. Brown first to give the piece an overall satin look and then polish with the white. I use satin minwax quite a bit and polishing it improves things a lot.

John, could you be a bit more specific on the extension and where you bought it? Thanks to all. You realize I'll be spending more $$$$$!!!!.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
John I would have to do some digging because I bought it a long time ago. I think I saw it in Packard or Woodcraft catalog not long ago. It is an 8" extension that comes threaded for your lathe on one end and has threads on the other end to take the threaded mops that Bealle sells. I think they are 3/8x 16tpi but not sure. I'll try to look it up tonight and get back with you.

You have to be real careful with Lowes or hardware store buffing wheels. Many of those are for polishing brass or stainless steel. They can be stitched and way too stiff and aggressive. If you have to go small, look at the little kits for polishing pens. Often multiple buffs on a single shaft. https://www.pennstateind.com/store/BGBUFF.html
I read about a guy that used a really long nap paint roller on a homemade mandrel for buffing if you want to go really cheap.

LOL. It's following me!

I followed this link and liked this product. I was thinking of getting the Beall 3-wheel mandrel, but might get this instead.

The funny thing is that an ad for this product is now following me everywhere I go. News sites, sports sites. I was showing a client something online yesterday and this little buffing extension slowly crossed the screen. I think it likes me more than i like it.

I mentioned WC while eating breakfast. My wife goes to the Joann fabric shop, Ollie's Bargain Outlet which is right around the corner from WC. We make a deal- we part company and she meets me at WC as I'm still in there when she has finished shopping. She also made the comment that the van is an original self-driving vehicle. I pull out of the driveway and it heads for the WC store in Chattanooga!!!!
Thanks to all. Will plan on looking at the extension and the cloth wheels. FWIW, the staff at WC is great about helping get me. Maybe it's because I spend a lot of $$$$ there?

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
If you do small things the 3 wheel buffing system works. Terrible for bowls. I also made one of the paint roller buffs. Works but again only really good for things like pens and wine stoppers. The cheap buff wheels work great at lower RPM's They can be too stiff at higher rpm's and will burn through the work. I prefer to buff at lower speeds. It's very much like sanding. The abrasive cuts and isn't really speed dependant. I use 4" wheels that I get from Bealle and run them at 1500 rpm which is far slower surface speed than the 8" wheels at 1725rpm.

LOL. It's following me!

I followed this link and liked this product. I was thinking of getting the Beall 3-wheel mandrel, but might get this instead.

The funny thing is that an ad for this product is now following me everywhere I go. News sites, sports sites. I was showing a client something online yesterday and this little buffing extension slowly crossed the screen. I think it likes me more than i like it.

Yeah Google ADs is annoying that way, clear you browser before client demo :) the sad part, it will follow you even after you buy it.

I purchased it because I did not want to use the 3 wheel mandrel and deal with tight space between them. Now I can do both the wheel and the ball buffers. It just takes few seconds longer to change them.

Website
woodbowlsandthings.wordpress.com
I have one of the aluminum extensions listed in the link above and use it for the round buffs I bought from Beal I have just built a dedicated polishing station but it will only utilize the wheels I used to use on my lathe. I did try a 3450 long shaft Baldor motor but as suggested above way too fast. I'm going to put a little detail re the one I just completed in my blog over the next week or so if anyone is interested in how I made it.

Back