• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Precision Machine 3-in-1 Screw Chuck

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Wondering if anyone has one of these PM 3 in 1 screw chucks, and looking for a little feedback. Looks to me like using the smaller end of the collar might present some problems with access.

I have two of the old style 4 3/4" PM screw chucks, and have been using them for about 25+ years now. Unfortunately, they've been discontinued. I'm very satisfied with them. The runout is less than a couple thousandths, IIRC. Because there are times when both are in use, another one of these would be nice to have. I've been trying to find another of these discontinued screw center faceplates, with no luck. Still would like to find one, but I'm to the point that I do need to have a third one...even if it's not exactly what I've been searching for.

View: https://youtu.be/rEj5j5R8rdk

1629401251372.png1629401282947.png
The old style PM 4 3/4" screw center faceplate looks like this......still would be interested in getting one of these, if anyone has one they'd sell to me.......
1629402306514.png1629402348351.png

Thanks for your comments...

-----odie-----

odie

TOTW Team
I use screw chucks often and wouldn't mind having one of these. @odie did you see in the video they mention that an optional 4"/6" collar is available.

Yes, I did, Mark. :)

Matter of fact, that larger collar is the only reason I'd consider getting this PM 3in1 chuck. I doubt if I'll ever have an occasion to use the standard supplied collar......because I currently have seven 3" PM screw center chucks. I have two 1 3/4" PM SC chucks (which I almost never use), and two of the 4 3/4" PM SC chucks. If I had my druthers, a third original 4 3/4" PM screw chuck would be my preference, but I've been trying for so long, that it looks like it'll take a miracle to find someone else with one of these!

I use screw center faceplates (screw chucks) on every bowl I make. During the roughing stage, I use a Stronghold chuck, too.

-----odie-----

Wondering if anyone has one of these PM 3 in 1 screw chucks, and looking for a little feedback. Looks to me like using the smaller end of the collar might present some problems with access.

I have two of the old style 4 3/4" PM screw chucks, and have been using them for about 25+ years now. Unfortunately, they've been discontinued. I'm very satisfied with them. The runout is less than a couple thousandths, IIRC. Because there are times when both are in use, another one of these would be nice to have. I've been trying to find another of these discontinued screw center faceplates, with no luck. Still would like to find one, but I'm to the point that I do need to have a third one...even if it's not exactly what I've been searching for.

View: https://youtu.be/rEj5j5R8rdk

View attachment 40029View attachment 40030
The old style PM 4 3/4" screw center faceplate looks like this......still would be interested in getting one of these, if anyone has one they'd sell to me.......
View attachment 40031View attachment 40032

Thanks for your comments...

-----odie-----
Odie- I have one of these. https://glaserhitec.com/product-category/products/screw-chuck/
Unfortunately, its a 1"-8 thread, for a lathe I no longer have. But its a very good screw chuck. I should get one for the lathe I now have

Odie I start all my work with a Nova chuck and the screw supplied with them (I have broken 2 Oneway screws and the other chuck supplied screws just look to thin). What does your screw chuck do that cannot be done with my Nova chuck and screw? Is it just choice or do you see some real advantage?

odie

TOTW Team
Odie I start all my work with a Nova chuck and the screw supplied with them (I have broken 2 Oneway screws and the other chuck supplied screws just look to thin). What does your screw chuck do that cannot be done with my Nova chuck and screw? Is it just choice or do you see some real advantage?

Oh......as you suggest, I think it's just a choice. ;)

Crazy me feels loyalty to some products that have served me well!

-----odie-----

Well, it seems that every chuck I have bought came with a screw chuck. I now have a small box full of them, and never use them.

robo hippy

Oh......as you suggest, I think it's just a choice. ;)

Crazy me feels loyalty to some products that have served me well!

-----odie-----
I have 3 nova chucks with screws. I hate nova's screw. It's too short. I've had it come out more times than not. So much so that I won't use it anymore. Now my vicmarc chuck and screw are excellent. Screw is about 1/2" longer than the nova's and the jaws offer a wider face for the wood to seat onto. I use that one all the time. It has never failed. I like those screw chucks but can't justify the extra expense. Faceplates are safer and not all that much more work. So I go that route when my vic is otherwise occupied.

odie

TOTW Team
I like those screw chucks but can't justify the extra expense.

Sometimes ya just gotta do what ya gotta do...bite the bullet and shell out the money for your "priorities"! :)

Having a screw center chuck permanently mounted until the 2nd turning is completed (except the foot) is one of my "secrets" for keeping perfect geometry. (Well, it's not really a secret, but only those turners who want multiple details in their turnings will know the importance of this!) Perfect geometry is critical to making the multiple details look "just right" in my turnings. I have a few customers who are art collectors and connoisseurs.....and they have noticed this in my turnings. They scrutinize and compare my work with other very fine turners.

Well, speak of the devil.......the new version of the PM 3in1 screw center chuck just came into stock at CSUSA. I placed my order just a few minutes ago, along with the jumbo 4 1/2" x 6 1/2" collar.......:D

-----odie-----

Last edited:
Sometimes ya just gotta do what ya gotta do...bite the bullet and shell out the money for your "priorities"! :)

Having a screw center chuck permanently mounted until the 2nd turning is completed (except the foot) is one of my "secrets" for keeping perfect geometry. (Well, it's not really a secret, but only those turners who want multiple details in their turnings will know the importance of this!) Perfect geometry is critical to making the multiple details look "just right" in my turnings. I have a few art collectors and connoisseurs who have noticed this in my turnings...

Well, speak of the devil.......the new version of the PM 3in1 screw center chuck just came into stock at CSUSA. I placed my order just a few minutes ago, along with the jumbo 6" collar.......:D

-----odie-----
Well IDK, Odie. I use the same chuck on both ends of the item, once with the screw and then with the jaws when I reverse it. Items run true for me every time, as one would expect it to. Hard to believe you get truer centering, as I assume you use a completely different holding device when you turn the form around.

odie

TOTW Team
Well IDK, Odie. I use the same chuck on both ends of the item, once with the screw and then with the jaws when I reverse it. Items run true for me every time, as one would expect it to. Hard to believe you get truer centering, as I assume you use a completely different holding device when you turn the form around.

Howdy Tom...

If you re-chuck at all, there will be a difference.....a very slight difference is enough to be noticeable on the kind of turning I do. The only time I "turn it around" is in the roughing stage. There, it doesn't make much difference.....but on the 2nd turn, it makes a big difference.....again, ONLY with the kind of turning I do, and employing multiple finely executed details. After the waste-block is installed, the screw center chuck is permanently affixed......both interior and exterior is 2nd turned and finished, without any reversing. The turning is then parted from the waste-block and the foot is completed...

-----odie-----

When I use my Nova chuck screw for hardwood I drill with a .030 smaller drill and with softwood I drill with a .050 or smaller drill. I no longer try to unscrew the piece by hand I take it off and unscrew the screw with a pair of water pumps. Also the last cut before turning the piece around is on the tenon to assure the closest runout of the piece after removing all that stock.

Don they both snapped off in just regular for me turning, basically right in half. Did nothing different than my normal turning. One with the Stronghold and one with the Talon. With either I hadn't got a tenon on them so I couldn't get the busted screw out so they became firewood. I think I do have the two parts that were in the chuck. I have a lot of chucks of various brands and I have at least 20 Nova chuck screws but am still using the very first one that I got with my Supernova about 19 years ago. I did give a Nova screw to a fellow club member who managed to break a Nova screw some years ago. I'll stick to my guns though that the Vicmarc, Axminster and Bulldog screws just seem too thin for me.

Don they both snapped off in just regular for me turning, basically right in half. Did nothing different than my normal turning. One with the Stronghold and one with the Talon. With either I hadn't got a tenon on them so I couldn't get the busted screw out so they became firewood. I think I do have the two parts that were in the chuck. I have a lot of chucks of various brands and I have at least 20 Nova chuck screws but am still using the very first one that I got with my Supernova about 19 years ago. I did give a Nova screw to a fellow club member who managed to break a Nova screw some years ago. I'll stick to my guns though that the Vicmarc, Axminster and Bulldog screws just seem too thin for me.
That is hard to believe, maybe the heat treat was off. I have had mine for more then 20 years and never had any problems.

odie

TOTW Team
The new PM 3in1 chuck with large adaptor has arrived.

First thing I did is check the concentricity to the centerline of the spindle, and the center mandrel is out by about .005".

This is acceptable, but not quite as tight as all the other older screw center chucks I have.

The set screw holding the worm screw should have been about 1/8" longer to do the job well. As it is, it only hangs on by a couple threads, and I foresee possible problems with this, in the future. I do have a few spare set screws, but didn't have the right one that matched the threads of the set screw hole in the mandrel.

I can use this new PM screw chuck, but it's best that I dedicate it to roughing bowls, and not final turning.

-----odie-----

The new PM 3in1 chuck with large adaptor has arrived.

First thing I did is check the concentricity to the centerline of the spindle, and the center mandrel is out by about .005".

This is acceptable, but not quite as tight as all the other older screw center chucks I have.

The set screw holding the worm screw should have been about 1/8" longer to do the job well. As it is, it only hangs on by a couple threads, and I foresee possible problems with this, in the future. I do have a few spare set screws, but didn't have the right one that matched the threads of the set screw hole in the mandrel.

I can use this new PM screw chuck, but it's best that I dedicate it to roughing bowls, and not final turning.

-----odie-----
Have you seen the Glaser screw chucks. Saw these at SWAT last week.
Glaser Screw Chucks

odie

TOTW Team
Hi Gerald......no, don't believe I have.

BTW: Your link is to this thread and not to the Glaser screw chucks.

-----odie-----
oops

odie

TOTW Team
oops
Thanks, Gerald.

Is the mandrel of the Glaser made of aluminum? If so, that's one thing I wouldn't consider.

The PM 3in1 has a steel mandrel, but the collars are aluminum......this is acceptable to me...

Anyway, I'm not in the market for another screw chuck at the moment......well, unless someone wants to sell me one of the original PM 4 3/4" chucks.....I'll still take one of those!

-----odie-----

Thanks, Gerald.

Is the mandrel of the Glaser made of aluminum? If so, that's one thing I wouldn't consider.

The PM 3in1 has a steel mandrel, but the collars are aluminum......this is acceptable to me...

Anyway, I'm not in the market for another screw chuck at the moment......well, unless someone wants to sell me one of the original PM 4 3/4" chucks.....I'll still take one of those!

-----odie-----
Not sure what it is made of as I did not pick it up. You can call Alan I am sure he would be glad to discuss the composition.

odie

TOTW Team
Not sure what it is made of as I did not pick it up. You can call Alan I am sure he would be glad to discuss the composition.

Perhaps someday, but as I said, I'm not in the market to purchase another screw chuck at the moment...

-----odie-----

Back