• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Pro-forme hollowing set

Anyone used this hollowing tool? I have an opportunity to purchase one and would like to know of anyones experiences with the setup and function of this tool.

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
I have one. I like it. It can be a bit tricky to set up and get the hang of it, but if you treat it like a ring or hook tool (which it is), it should make the learning curve much shorter.

A few years back, a fellow on rec.crafts.woodworking newsgroup by the name of Lyn Mangiameli wrote up much on hollowing tools and the Pro-Forme. Here's the link searching on Lyn and the Proforme:
http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=proforme&num=10&scoring=r&hl=en&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_ugroup=&as_usubject=&as_uauthors=mangiameli&lr=&as_drrb=q&as_qdr=&as_mind=1&as_minm=1&as_miny=1981&as_maxd=20&as_maxm=10&as_maxy=2007&safe=off

Thanks Owen, I just got mine today. I was beginning to think no one owned this rig and that I bought a "pig in a poke" tool. I will look at Lyn's write-up now.

Gary

Website
www.wildwoodgallery.co.nz
Garmar, I use them and they are a very good tool. I also use Rolly Munro's hollower which is good as well but with all hollowing tool they wont do every job.
I find the Pro-former tools very good for roughing out and have it set on an aggressive cut and use the tool gate to put more pressure on the cut.
Robbie

Thanks Robbie, I have the straight cutter and the curved cutter and will probably order the scraper head as well. Thanks for the information.

Gary

Website
www.abhats.com
I've had the swan neck version for three years and love it. After reading the reviews of how tricky it can be, I got an adapter for my Jameson D handle and use it in that. The tool removes an amazing amount of wood very quickly, so be used to starting and stopping to clean out a lot. Also, it's best used at very slow speeds. What I really like is that it isn't a scraper, it's a cutter. I finish all my pieces on the inside just like the outside. Scrapers leave way too much tear out for me.

Back